Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    acmegridley Guest

Man those falcons when they dive look out,had a dozy old pigeon sitting on neihgbours fence sunning himself ,I was outside talking to neihbours on other side when whack ,just an explosion of feathers ,pigeon gone ,just a few feathers left floating to the ground.
    Couldn't believe it ,it was so quick

Default Falcons ...

Quote Originally Posted by acmegridley View Post
    Man those falcons when they dive look out,had a dozy old pigeon sitting on neihgbours fence sunning himself ,I was outside talking to neihbours on other side when whack ,just an explosion of feathers ,pigeon gone ,just a few feathers left floating to the ground.
    Couldn't believe it ,it was so quick
    Yes,
    When I was doing a little subject research, I saw this clip on YouTube about a Peregrine Falcon defending young chicks against a possible threat from a larger Hawk ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpz66RYD110"]YouTube - Peregrine Falcon Kills Red Tailed Hawk[/ame]

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike48 View Post
    Hi everyone

The falcon was down a few days after my last post.
    Our birds are back.

Three days later, I then put the falcon on the back patio,and within an hour, the magpies and butcher birds had found it and were massing near the patio and making a racket trying to scare it away.
    I was attempting to recoup some of my $29 cost by using the falcon to scare away just a few birds who were perching on our patio table and pushbikes ( and pooing on our chairs and bike helmets).

The falcon was deliberately placed out of sight to birds until they actually flew inside the covered patio.

But "they" found it.
    It is now fully retired.

A very interesting time around our house.

cheerio, mike
    Sorry to hear that you have given up on deterring the birds Mike.

I tried a plastic owl which looked very much like your falcon and it also worked for a few days but then the birds came back and ate my lawn seed.

I have tried a lot of different bird scaring devices, from balloons to scarecrows to plastic snakes. I found that there are some things that work and some that don't. And it depends on the types of birds your having a problem with too. I found the smaller the bird, the smarter typically.

I see that someone has pointed out that you have to move the bird scarer around, kind of a buzzkill if your doing alot of work to get rid of the birds, sometimes the disease can be better than the cure.

Anyhow my findings if your interested.

Scarecrow Vs Birds.com ← Reviews of domestic bird control methods