Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Preserving the colour

I wonder if anyone has experience in preserving the bright colour of freshly cut Padauk. Before it oxidises it has remarkable almost orange colouring. (the sawdust it gets in everywhere. One needs an understanding wife)Apparently this colour will change in time to a brown. Does anyone know of a way of preserving that bright and very attractive colour. I am currently making a Marimba using Padauk and the colour is appropriate appropriate for the lively and fun type of instrument it is. Being an instrument it should not normally be exposed to rain and sun or too much abuse. Preserving the tone over time is also important. Would welcome some experience on this. Thanks

Welcome to the forums Out of Africa.

I had to do a little research on Marimbas. An impressive looking instrument. I am afraid I don't have specific information on Paduk, but in general timber colour is retained by oiling or varnishing. In the case of oiling, while it is a much more friendly treatment of timber it often requires frequent re-finishing. However that is normally no more than a wipe with fresh oil.

Most finishes enhance the colour but also slightly darken the colour at the same time. (Wiping your timber surface with a wet rag will simulate the colour you might expect.) I don't know if the overall colour will change.

I would be experimenting on some small sample pieces.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Try feastwatson proof seal it has a UV inhibitor. No promises. Mick