Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Advice sought: Jarrah, Bottlebrush and Olive

Hi All,

I am not a woodworker, but I currently have a lot of timber lying around from some projects to tidy up my property. I have a mate who is willing to take most of it for firewood, but I am interested to find out if these timbers have more value than firewood.

I have attached some pics below.

100_3368.jpg This is an asbesdos shed which I will shortly be having demolished. I think this shed was built in the 50's, so the timbers are quite old. None of the timbers have been painted and appear to be in good condition.

100_3369.jpg Bottlebrush tree stump which I dug out about 3 weeks ago.

100_3373.jpg100_3374.jpg Jarrah timbers from a patio which I demolished. I think this timber is about 40-50 years old and most of the ends are a bit rotten, but they are still structurally sound. (I used them to lever the above bottlebrush tree stump out of the ground.)

100_3377.jpg100_3378.jpg Olive tree. I want to remove this tree, but it is obviously of significant size/weight. I think this tree was planted in the 1950's, but the leaves are currently a sickly yellow colour and as you can see, it is dropping lots of leaves.

At this point, I just am interested to hear if there is any value to these items.

Cheers
    Mark

Sorry to be the bearer of some bad tidings but;
    1) While it looks good, anything taken from a demolished asbestos site is an OHS hazard and you would have to pay someone to take it away. I'd say at best that is a give away job.

2) Bottle brush stump: Anything that is not milled/dried and ready to use has limited value, maybe some craft person can take it off your hands for a half a carton

3) Recycled timber is always problematic ie nails etc, just one hidden nail can make a real mess of a wood working machine

4) Anything that is a bit rotten is usually worthless, what I see in Photo four looks like it would suit your your firewood mate.

5) The Olive is quite twisted so in terms of use it would probably be restricted to short lengths which may interest wood turners.
    The value depends on what a specifically buyer has in mind and how structurally sound the truck is which cannot be determined until is is cut down.
    I suggest you cut it down whole and post some photos of the end cuts.