Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plane hardwood question

Hello. Would an electric 82 mm plane be capable of reducing a length of 45 mm x 70 mm F 17 Hardwood down to 40 mm x 70 mm please? Cheers ANG.

Ang,

that would be feasible. Make sure you remove any dirt or other foreign objects from the wood surface and take it down 0.5mm at a pass,

Cheers, Mungomunn

Probably. It depends a lot on the quality of the plane and the length of the piece. If the plane is an Ozito, probably not. If it is a Makita, probably be OK.
    Make sure you support the piece well so that it does not bend or twist and like mungomunn said, take small cuts.

Thanks for the replies. I have four 3 meter lengths to do. So a 600 watt ozito not up to it?

I perhaps should not have mentioned brand names. Enough to say that some brands are better built than others. The one you have may well do the job if you take it slowly . Don't push it hard and don't overheat anything. Start with sharp blades.

Another alternative might be to find a woodworking club or Mens Shed in your area that has perhaps a table saw or band saw, planer or thicknesser capable of doing the job. They will often do this sort of thing for a decent donation.

Quote Originally Posted by ang22221 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have four 3 meter lengths to do. So a 600 watt ozito not up to it?
    I can't see why not, it is what it's designed and made for. Just take it easy, let the machine do the the work.
    Cheers

DJ

I am not familiar with the Ozito's capabilities. 600W in any brand is going to be a big ask for F17. I would try to remove the bulk of the material with a circular saw (maybe from both sides setting the blade to cut half at a time) and then triming the last mm off with your planner. This is easy with a bench saw, but if using a hand held saw 4 mm becomes difficult with the fence attached as the guard or other parts of the saw may foul. You could try just sawing by eye to a line. If the planner blade "chatters" on the timber it has gone blunt and you need to change the blade.

Avery's suggestion of finding someone with a thicknesser is probably the best option, but otherwise you could try my method.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

LOOK any POS electric planer will eventually take that much material off if you take it offin fine enough slices........but are YOU able to handle that machine in a way that it is going to do so in a regular way.

This is not electric hand plane work for the beginner, Hell I'm pretty handy with bothe electric and manual hand planes and I would not attempt it.

As has been said this is work for a sawbench or a thicknesser OR realy both.

The most efficient way to handle this would be to take about 3 or 4mm off with the table saw then dress it accurately with a thicknesser.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.