Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jack E: interesting, .........how much was the set top box?

My reception is ok, I can get a good picture with the rabbit ears I have now but it means getting up a playing around with the aerial every time you change channel....... so what you suggest may well work....

Anyone else tried this?

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Set top boxes start at around $130 but you get what you pay for.
    Avoid brands such as Teac, Akai and stick with better known names like Thompson, Emtech etc who are big in Satelite decoders, which is the same technology, they work exactley the same way, just from a different source.
    The better boxes will work as low as 30dbuv while the cheaper ones will start to drop out at about 50dbuv.
    Expect to pay about $200-250 for a decent SD (standard definition) and unless you have a 100hz or plasma TV I wouldn't even consider a High Definition.
    Apart from picture quality that is like watching a DVD you also get multiple SBS channels, programme guides, music channels and an information bar.
    Some have teletext too, if you can be bothered waiting for it to load.
    Channel ten Melb occassionally run multi channelling on some sports events so you get to chose which view you want, doesn't happen often and I watched 4 different aspects of the Malaysian Grand Prix last year.
    They never tell you when it's happening though.
    And, ABC have another channel too, its on 21 digital and is an alternative to whatever is on the normal analogue stream.
    The better boxes also have fibreoptic audio out so you can hook into a home theatre.
    I've had one now for 3 years and would never go back to analogue.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.