Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Roy Underhill swinging an axe

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee

I don't think it/he is very commercial at all.

He started out on a local PBS station - 1979 - North Carolina - for two years.
    That's like our ABC, but only in 1 US state out of 50. And he's continued on PBS ever since AFAIK. I'm pretty sure that, like our ABC, that is not the source of the big money pay packets.

He has written books - the ones I've seen must have been very early on - and runs classes. I like Rob Cosman well enough, but I would say he for example is commercial - not Roy.

30+ years enthusing people about traditional tools and knowledge, and a bit of self-reliance is a bloody good effort I think

Cheers,
    Paul.
    I enjoyed the vid! Thanks for posting.

I have to agree with Paul about ole' Roy and I think his point is well stated. Were he "commercialized" he would be advertising his own signature line of hand tools all emblazoned with his signature - but he's not despite
    How lucrative that would be. I think he's truly driven to bring back his niche of the lost art of self reliance. He has my respect for being a true frontier given the time period he got it all started. That was truly the time of the power tool even more so than now, I think. The time of one tool does all gizmos.

Attaboy Roy!

Love his philosophy!
    Thanks for sharing.

More magic Underhill ...Roy Underhill

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TsRkTRbuIk"]The Woodwright's Shop 20th Anniversary Episode - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    He started out on a local PBS station - 1979 - North Carolina - for two years.
    That's like our ABC, but only in 1 US state out of 50.
    Actually a lot more like our Channel 31 or it's variants in other states, very little money to go round, and lots of groups trying to get a share of it and the airtime.

Not only did he start with PBS, he has stayed with them. A lot of local acts started out in public broadcasting as an interest, and headed for the money when there was some on offer, (thinking radio here as public TV is still fairly new to Oz).

Stusshed and others had it good, they were able to start up with the internet and could find an audience that way. Roy, Norm and Router Workshop had to pioneer the format, get an audience and convince the public networks that it was worth the precious airtime.

Pity it's so hard to get hold of Roy's earlier efforts.

Default Re: Roy Underhill swinging an axe

Quote Originally Posted by malb

Pity it's so hard to get hold of Roy's earlier efforts.
    From what I'm told, all 30 yrs are being digitized and put on DVD as we speak... They'll be available in box sets.

More excellent St Roy of Underhill ...

Housewrighting ...