Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hoodles to all maties

Howdy all

I'm Phil and on the wrong side of a half century.

My only previous experience with woodworking has been removing cork from wine bottles - but now they seem to have replaced most of them with screw metal tops. Maybe it's because of this I have become fascinated with actually producing something tangible. There's also something indescribable about wood. Without wanting to sound like a fetishist or a pervert or similar, wood feels so "silky"and almost sensual when finished properly. And it looks truly amazing!

My aim is to try to at least approach these levels of expertise that is so evident on this forum. I know I've a very long way to go, but I like to keep at it until I get things to the stage where I'm happy. For example, I've had 3 attempts at making my better half a jewellery box that I have discarded at various stages (over the last 6 weeks or so) because I made silly mistakes through lack of research and/or experience. I made a start on attempt 4 today, and so far so good!

Cheers to all
    Phil

Hi Phil
    Welcome to the forum enjoy
    Lets hope that take 4 jewellery box dosent end up take 8 or 10 lol.
    As you would be aware to learn by your mistakes is one of the best ways to learn.
    Best of luck
    Regards
    Brian

Hey Phil & welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that most new things attempted turn out to be a little different when put into practice.

I have also done something several times. Two parts to a build the grill and the other the frame. The grill I made six times and the frame I made five times, before it came together.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome Phil ,
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgable blokes & ladies on the forum, and for the most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photos, especially WIP photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork & show us what you do.
    And 50plus is good!!!!
    Cheers, crowie

PS - Their are quite a few members from the newcastle area.....

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome! I'll have to pay attention to members' locations in the posts to find those in and around Newcastle.

I must admit I'm not all that surprised but I stuffed up Jewellery Box attempt #4 (or is it #5?). I thought I had done a pretty fair job taking my time and getting the 45 degree mitres pretty close using a Makita SCMS a friend lent me. When trying to fine tune them, I spent many many hours but only achieved getting them further away from perfect.

Then I spent many hours on Sunday making a jig (pic included) to allow me to cot 45 degree bevels on the SCMS. But getting 8 perfect 45 degree cuts seems not to be my forte.

It looks as though I need to save my bikkies to get a reasonable sort of table saw. The nice guys down at the local Gateshead BCS quoted me $545 for a Makita MLT100 (unless I can find a suitable 2nd hand table saw in the nearish future).

I've now cut off the mitres on the latest attempt and will make a simple utility box for anyone in the house who cares to use it (this is what I ended up doing with my last failed one as well - see attached pics).

Mitres can be a challenge.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by antiphile View Post
    Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome! I'll have to pay attention to members' locations in the posts to find those in and around Newcastle.

I must admit I'm not all that surprised but I stuffed up Jewellery Box attempt #4 (or is it #5?). I thought I had done a pretty fair job taking my time and getting the 45 degree mitres pretty close using a Makita SCMS a friend lent me. When trying to fine tune them, I spent many many hours but only achieved getting them further away from perfect.

Then I spent many hours on Sunday making a jig (pic included) to allow me to cot 45 degree bevels on the SCMS. But getting 8 perfect 45 degree cuts seems not to be my forte.

It looks as though I need to save my bikkies to get a reasonable sort of table saw. The nice guys down at the local Gateshead BCS quoted me $545 for a Makita MLT100 (unless I can find a suitable 2nd hand table saw in the nearish future).

I've now cut off the mitres on the latest attempt and will make a simple utility box for anyone in the house who cares to use it (this is what I ended up doing with my last failed one as well - see attached pics).
    Well done Phil,
    Put up a new post in the "box section" asking for some assistance as I'm sure some of the clever old hands will assist.
    Also what the "market place" as you might find a good second hand table saw for sale were someone has upgraded.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers, crowie

Welcome Phil im new here aswell champ enjoy.