Hi everyone,
I'm new here, Pippa and I are doing a restoration/renovation on an old c1880 cottage in Tasmania. We had a rush of blood in one of the bedrooms yesterday and removed a layer of ranchwall to see what was under it. Found some really nice (not) pink burnie board so we ripped that down too. Underneath we discovered 5 layers of wallpaper over hessian all in really fragile condition. Anyway, to cut a long story short, is there any way of fairly accurately dating old wallpaper? Maybe a resident expert here or on another website. I've searched but not had any success. Reason being, we have no idea when our house was built. We know it was relocated here around the turn of last century, dragged in on sleds by bullock team from a nearby gold mining town. Our local council have no records. We're trying to pinpoint the age of the house and thought the original wallpaper may give a clue. I'll try and post a couple of pics to give an idea of the wallpaper. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers, Smokie.

the wall........ really nice if you like the 'genuine rustic look with authentic rat holes'.

closeup of 4 oldest layers (behind door)

newest (above door)
Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...