Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The Apple Trees.

Hi All,
    Near us, there are 2 beautiful Apple Trees, that give 100's of Apples each Year.
    However, they are attacked each Year by the Codling Moth, & although you can cut around the Apple, we lose many to The Moth, & of course The Parrots.
    I've had a bit of a read on the subject.
    So what I'm asking is would that Waxed Cardboard stop the Climbing Moth.
    Time is running out to treat the Trees, & most likely be done in the next few days.
    If that is not the way to go, I plan to use Corrugated Cardboard, & soak it in Kerosene, & wire it to the Trunks & to the bigger Branches as well.
    To you, does this sound a good Idea, or are there better ways. I don't want to spend a great lot of money on this project.
    Would greatly appreciate your comments.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Don't know if the waxed cardboard will work but Green Harvest suggests:

Remove loose bark and leaf debris from the crotch of the tree, to reduce hiding places for cocoons. Corrugated cardboard bands can be placed around trunks and limbs to trap caterpillars looking for a place to pupate. Inspect every 3 weeks and destroy any cocooned caterpillars. The most important trapping time is winter and spring but for effective control inspect the bands all year round.

Peter.

Issatree is it possible to build a yard around the trees for a few chooks? Then you would have eggs, apples, less pests and the damaged apples would get eaten when they fall to the ground.

Gary

Default Replies.

Hi Peter, Gary,
    Yes, Peter that is what I read as well, but to soak with Kero 1st.
    Gary, the Trees are not in my place, so that is not going to happen, but it is a very good idea.
    I may get some more replies ?.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.