Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diston Back Saw

it was at the time, its a while ago now so i can laugh about it...

hehe i been known to knock bricks out to get my tools back that an apprentice has dropped down the cavity

i deleted that story, not sure i am comfortable leaving that up for all eternity

Jim's handle does look like the No 4's here. The badges are identical though. Just says Disston-Disston.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Jim's handle does look like the No 4's here. The badges are identical though. Just says Disston-Disston.

TT
    Handle less pronounced but the etch looks the same from what I can see of it - the etch that dates from the 1940s. I notice the lack of stamp on the spine also dates from that period. That seems to give an earliest date but not of course a latest.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Default Finished

Well I've finished it. I had the blade sharpened by a pro but all in all it turned out ok. I was also doing up a dovetail saw that I believe is pre war. I did a quick tenon and dovetail joint to test the sharpness of the teeth and am mightily impressed. I now have a couple of nifty users

Thanks to those that commented.

The joints aren't the best but it is due in part to the dove tail saw veering to the left while I saw (I'm right handed). When I changed hands the cut tended to straighten up a bit. As you can see in the pic the saw has wandered in the pin. I ended up cutting the dove tail with the tenon saw and it worrked well. I am not sure if it is all my dud technique or that the dovetail saw is best suited to being used on thinner stuff than bunnings 20mm pine.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Good job TT,
    Looks like a keeper.

Toby