Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default So, 3hp single stage 5 micron collector, pointless?

So, after many hours reading through pages of dust collection info, according to Bill Pentz, no commercially made collectors , except the one company that uses his designs is up to the task?

I just have a open garage and wood work maybe once to twice a week with a router/table-saw/sander. Is it pointless and a waste of money to get a 3hp single stage 5 micron collector?

Quote Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
    So, after many hours reading through pages of dust collection info, according to Bill Pentz, no commercially made collectors , except the one company that uses his designs is up to the task?

I just have a open garage and wood work maybe once to twice a week with a router/table-saw/sander. Is it pointless and a waste of money to get a 3hp single stage 5 micron collector?
    That's all I have but I have a closed shed and my doors and windows I keep open are on the other side of the shed from the external DC

A 3HP 5 micron machine will make a very good chip collector and keep things nice and tidy looking but from a fine dust collection point of view you will be working in a fog of fine dust. Once or twice a week is unlikely to kill you. How strong are the prevailing winds/breezes? About the best you can do is locate it down wind from you - this could work well for you on some days

If you're prepared to spend a bit extra, look into changing the top bag to a pleated filter; that will give you 1 micron filtration.

Alternatively, if you're able to have the extractor outside the area that will certainly help

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    Alternatively, if you're able to have the extractor outside the area that will certainly help
    With an open garage I don't think it will help at much all as there is too direct a path from the exhaust back to where the suck starts so all that will happen is a simple air loop will be established filling the air along the loop with fine dust. That's why it is also pointless to put DCs just outside an open door or window. Externally located DCs need to be as far as possible from the air intake to the work area. Of course one could always put the DC dozens of meters away but then pressure loss from ducting will start to become significant.