Hi,

I am about to start hanging some new internal doors I bought from bunnings and thought I should do some research first. They are the hollow core doors and I will need to shave some off the edges to make them fit.

Can you put the door handle and lock mechanism on either side of the door or is there some kind of mark showing where it needs to go?

What kind of thickness is the minimum I need to leave on the edges? I suspect I will need to remove more than is usual due to everything in our old house being non-standard (from memory, I need to remove 5mm from each side of the door, it might be more).

I have a brand new 650W ryobi electric planer, will this suffice for adjusting the door size? It can plane up to 1.5mm at a time, should I use a smaller size and do multiple passes, or doesnt it matter?

Will painting white gloss enamel with a sponge-brush be a good idea? I already have the paint and prefer enamel, so please dont recommend aqua-namel or anything like that. I just need a good way of applying the paint that wont leave marks. The doors have decorative panels, i.e. they are not flat.

Any other advice would also be appreciated.

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....