Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Start fresh or begin used?

I've been looking out for a second hand bandsaw and as another member mentioned to me, they can be hard to come by and even when they do it might not be what you're looking for. So I have been keeping an eye out for mainly 14" and 17" bandsaws. 14" because I feel like its a good entry level size and it will fit in my garage without being obtrusive. 17" because although the 14" is a good start, I may branch out to more demanding things that the bigger model will handle better.

I don't know what I'll use my bandsaw for in the future, but at the moment it seems like the perfect tool to set me up and prepare timber for my tools and hands to make the pieces I want. I like working with hard woods and I often find them in a used condition so resawing would be something I see myself doing fairly often.

In all my considerations while looking for this used bandsaw I've thought perhaps I should buy this tool brand new and in good working order. I've been playing around with a couple of planes I've acquired and I don't feel out of my depth tinkering with them and I've seen good results. With a bandsaw however, I don't think I'd be able to tune one up and get performing like new (or perhaps I'm wrong?). I want to ask whether you believe it is beneficial to put some more money towards this tool. Of course if there was no issue with money this would be the case, but perhaps my question is more... I have some money put away that I'm happy to spend on tools, should the bandsaw be one tool that I spend more on to ensure I have a good working machine or would my money be better suited in another investment? Even if that investment is a used machine and money put into ensuring its good operation.

A benefit of buying new is I would be able to do my research, find the model I want and pick it up rather than waiting for the right model to turn up. I don't study cabinet making nor do I have access to a workshop to learn, test and try one, I just know it does a lot of the jobs I want it to do. I hope this doesn't come across as impatient but I am keen to get my hands on one.

I'm hoping that those of you who use bandsaws will be able to enlighten me with your wisdom as you are probably aware of the importance of a good working machine, and you too had to start somewhere. How would you approach this? Start fresh? or begin with something used?

James.

Default The Saw.

Hi James,
    Brendan Stemp had one for sale up at the U-Turn. Anyway you could ask, even though he is up at Horsham. $200 if memory serves me, & it was in VGC.
    Use the Members List to find him.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Thank you. I've sent a PM