Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My wood art clock.

At the recent Wood, Steel and Steam festival organised by the Eastern Woodturners at Mt. Delancey homestead I was lucky enough to get a wedge cut of a big log by the slabbing demonstrators.

As I had bought various clock, thermometer and barometer insert mechanisms about 6 years ago from Carroll's I finally found a suitable piece of wood to use them.

After 2 days of hand planing, sanding and drilling I finished it with 5 coats of danish oil before fitting the inserts.

It now takes a place of honour in our lounge adjacent to the TV where I can look at it whilst watching the TV.

Here are some photos.

The front:

Attachment 205963
    The back:

Attachment 205964
    The side view:

Attachment 205965

I know it has taken some time to finish this project but remember Rome wasn't built in a day and I've had a few more important things to do in the mean time.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Cheers

DJ

That looks really great Pete.

I like the natural edge / back. It looks great.

Well Done.

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

Thanks for the comments.

Yesterday I picked up some wood from the side of the road as a gum tree had been cut down. The piece, although no good for turning, had a lovely bump sticking out at one side so I cut that of and making another one.

Just the right size for the remaining clock and thermometer. Will post photos when finished.

Peter.

Default And another one.

Last week I saw a tree cut down for firewood and looking at it carefully I found a nice piece that, if cut from the larger bulk, would make a nice clock.

After sanding, drilling and giving it lots of coats of danish oil it came up like this.

Front view:

Attachment 206962
    Side view:

Attachment 206963

It's very heavy and will make a nice present for my non woodworking daughter.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Default Michelle's clocks.

At the recent forum get together at 's to celebrate Cliff's Invasion we got some Coastal Banksia pieces from Springwater. Michelle confiscated them and made some clocks as well.

The first bit was an odd shaped knob which when cut in half made a couple of lovely clocks as you can see:

Attachment 206980
    and it's twin

Attachment 206981
    We also got a small L shaped kinda crooked coastal banksia branch which made a lovely small clock set:

Attachment 206982
    And she also made one from a small tree of cut from a tree at her work that "attacked" her as it was dying. So when it was cut down she got her revenge and made a clock out of it.

Attachment 206983
    All clocks were finished with Minwax Antique Oil and Ubeaut's trad wax. Thanks Craig for the donation of the timber and apart from some help in the cutting and drilling were all made by her.

Enjoy.

Peter.