Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can highly recommend Hartleys. Spent all day there watching the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    If you are into fishing, you can't do that off the PC jetty any more either, the buga's banned it.
    NOW that really upsets me. I caught my first fish off that jetty. Got about 14 that day with the biggest being about 6 inchs in length. HWMBO just kept telling ppl (because I was yah hooing every time) "New to fishing - first time"

I had lots of fun though.

Default FNQ travel advice

Jackruss

Great to see that this forum is good for stuff other than woody things. As a local in Cairns I might as well toss in my cents worth.

If you are going to Green Island (GI) I suggest you pack a picnic - kids are always hungry and the resort charges an arm and leg for basic food eg burgers and stuff.

Have a great time folks - if the crocs don't get ya the stingers will - just jocking.

There is a roped off area for swimming at GI so that should suit the wee ones. Take a trip through Marine Land Melansia if you get the chance - a bit tacky but the kids might love it. There is now a fair amount of boardwalk to get you into the small rainforest National Park on the island.

The coral is not great - been loved to death - but outer reef trips probably wouldn't suit the kids - the tourist brochures don't show how sloppy it can get out there - I've seen a lot of rather green looking tourists getting off the ferries!!

Anyway have a good one folks and welcome to FNQ

Walalce
    "Plastic trees make great plastic boats - show me the trees!!"

thankyou everyone.

have confirmed my flights and accomodation at Palm Cove.

Have worked out a rough plan for what to do when we are there, the skyrail and train, and sail trip out to Green Island are top of the list.

Last question, is the beach a surf beach, like say Manly or is it more a gentle waves like a beach inside a cove? Not surf if the reef smooths out the swell?

thanks all again

JR
    who can't wait till September!!!
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colours....
    but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

Not a lot of surf anywhere North of BrisVegas - the Great Barrier Reef is a bit of an inhibitor!
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Agnes Waters near the Town of 1770 South of Rockhampton is the last good surf beach coming north.

We get chop & chunder if there's a cyclone but you most likely won't see that in Sept.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

surf? :confused: I hear southerners talking about it...must the those big waves I see on TV sometimes with blokes wearing gstrings rowing out into the middle of them and getting smashed Silly southerners...Anyway, as mentioned before there's muddies for the kids at the esplanade which they wont want to leave if you make the mistake of going there...you have been warned...and the lagoon is pretty good too for grown ups. Stroll along the jetty in Cairns too, chances are you'll see some mega rich buggers yacht/plaything parked there (reg grundys 'bodeacia' was there this week...a cool 100 million worth!!!)

If its trees you'd like to see then go to the tablelands (I'm from there so a bit biased) Lake Eacham has a good walk around it with signs up naming some of the trees and you can swim there safely without fear of crocs, stingers or sharks (I've never seen the mythical freshie thats supposed to inhabit it) Not far from there is a bloody great big red cedar tree to have a look at, pretty impressive but sad in a way when you consider the tablelands were covered in similar trees once. As mentioned before the waterfall circuit is worth seeing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by womble
    surf? :
    If its trees you'd like to see then go to the tablelands ..... signs up naming some of the trees
    :eek: :eek: Thars Fred Gumtree 'n' Phyllis Figtree 'n' Malcom Mangrove 'n' ......
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    .... 'n' Malcom Mangrove 'n' ......
    Ya won't find him on the tablelands.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    :eek: :eek: Thars Fred Gumtree 'n' Phyllis Figtree 'n' Malcom Mangrove 'n' ......
    actually more like 'new table', 'new cupboard', 'new sideboard' etc etc the rangers will never notice they're gone..

There is also a good market in Mareeba on the tablelands, (45 minutes from Cairns), second Saturday of the month, where I have a stall. A legal spirit maker at Mt Uncle, a mango winery and a few fruit wine makers to visit. There are two local coffee factories with shops. Plenty to do up here...
    Jim

Hey Jim, I'm a weekend tablelander....

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost
    ....I have a stall. A legal spirit maker at .....
    Ummm... what is that you sell at that there stall boy?
    Cliff.