Hi,

Hopefully I've picked the right forum for this. Apologies in advance if I haven't.

I'm at the stage now where I need to build my carport, and I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it. I'll try to be as clear as I can, I'm only just starting to look at how to do it so I haven't got my head around it yet.

Basically, I want to build a 4mt x 8mt gable carport. I am in a heritage area so it needs to have a certain look, so the off the shelf kit 'look' they won't accept (this sort of look). Ideally I'd like to achieve something along the lines of this, but without all the twiddly, fiddly decorations (so basically nothing like that, hah!). I like the overhanging roof line, but I'd rather straight posts, simple lines, minimal decoration.

So, on to the difficult part. How best to go about it. Main issue is cost, as it is for most people. I've gotten a quote of $8k+ for the carport, timber trusses with gal posts. I'd prefer to do it for less and currently exploring doing it myself. I've got all of the permits in place, I just need to get off my rear end and get it done.

What do you think is the easiest way to go about building the carport? I'm pondering the differences between timber and steel framework. Do you think buying a steel kit and attempting to get the *look* I want is an option?

In terms of how they go together, the overhanging roofline and possibly a weatherboard front to the roof, is it a workable option?

Alternatively, is it better to get the trusses made up, buy the timber for the beams, posts etc, steel for the roofing (has to be gal) and put it together that way?

In terms of ease of use, the Meccano-style steel carport would be easier to put together I'm assuming, less cutting and the like, but how would the costs weigh up in comparison to timber pre-fab trusses and everything else?

I'm probably just asking 'how long is a piece of string', but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling and see where I end up.

Any advice you could give me I'd greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...