Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Ipe

Exclamation Ipe

These Brasillians are funny buggers. Lots of Ipe trees here just waiting for me to cut ém down and have ém milled. They just don´t want to co-operate with me!!

Seems a rea nice timber too artme

Arthur, there's plenty of them as street trees in Brisbane. When you get home you can sneak out a nights with the chainsaw . . .
    Save a lot on excess baggage charges.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    These Brasillians are funny buggers. Lots of Ipe trees here just waiting for me to cut ém down and have ém milled. They just don´t want to co-operate with me!!
    Hey Artme,

Looks like you're back in Brazil!! What state are you in? Here's a very good species list using local common names:

REMADE: Madeiras - Espécies - Madeiras brasileiras e exóticas

Along the eastern coast, look for mocitaiba/mossetaiba (Zollernia ilicifolia). The timber is extremely dense with a bit of a reddish tint. Also, look for the brownish-red "Baraúna or Brauna" (Schinopsis brasiliensis).

If you can get access to timbers from Para, look for Coracao-de-Negro, Preciosa, Pau Santo or Muirapixuna. Better yet, if you can get access to timbers from Amazonas, try to find Coracao-de-Negro.

Banco de Dados de Madeiras Brasileiras
    MADEIREIRA SÃO PAULO
    Hardwood Lumber, Wood, Tropical Hardwoods, Rare Wood and Figured Hardwoods - Brazilian Hardwoods

By the way, Coracao-de-Negro is effectively any blackish Swartzia species. If you can find any serious timber sources in Manaus, I'd love to hear what you find.

Lista de Espécies da Flora do Brasil

Two Types of Ipe here, named after their flower colour : Ipe Amarello ( yellow Ipe) and Ipe Rosa (pink Ipe).

Runge - Yep back in Brasil. Ana's mother is gravely ill and is being cared for at home in a home based ICU funded by her health fund. Not a lot of time going to be devoted to tripping around after wood related stuphph.

We are in Rio State. One thing I would have done if able was to take a photo of a lion carved frm Mussanduraba tha sits outside a battery dealership. I think I mentioned this last time I was here. Just another thing I won't get done this time on earth!!

Thanfully many of Brasil's well known timbers are now strictly protected, and rightly so.Pau Brasil ( Brasilwood ), Brazillian Rosewood and Imbuia amongst them.

Sorry about Ana's mother.

I'm not an expert on Brasil but is that Rio Grande do Sul, Rio Grande do Norte or Rio de Janiero? Presumably, it is the last of these, Rio de Janiero.

http://www.dholmes.com/master-list/brasil.gif

Zollernia ilicifolia grows near Rio de Janiero ... if you ever have a chance to poke around.

( https://www.google.com/search?q=%22z...E-no0QGbnNyuAQ )

Smile

Thanks Runge, much appreciated.

When people here say Rio state it is a given that they ar referring to Estado do Rio de Janeiro.So your assumption is correct>

Just had a look at that marvellously detailed Google site. I can´t say with certainty that I have see that particular tree, but I have see several that bare a striking resemblance.