Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Where to buy alkyd varnish in Australia

G'day Folks,
    I'm readiing a book by Joe L'Erario and he recommends "alkyd furniture-grade gloss varnish". I thought I would give it a go.
    I can't seem to locate this in the hardware stores nearby. They appear to have a good range of polyurethane and water based varnishes, but no oil based alkyd varnish.
    Does anyone have any information on where to get this?
    tia
    B.

Straight alkyd varnishes are normally used for exterior finishes and are by their very nature softer (so they are more flexible and last longer outside).

Single pack polyurethane finishes are really polyurethane modified alkyd finishes (varnish is really not a correct term for these finishes but we'll leave that for now).

So, if you are wanting to finish furniture you are looking more for hard wearing and able to take knocks etc, choose a polyurethane alkyd.

For outside, choose a straight alkyd finish that is specified for outside use, softer, more flexible and modified with UV absorbers for longer exterior durability.

Solver Paints or Wattyl make a good range, as does Cabots'.

I have managed to find a Haymes product called "Interior General Purpose Clear Gloss". Looks like the go and fits what Joe was getting at, will see when I get to use it in the the next couple weeks.