Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post

Besides, getting too excited would contravene one of the rules I stipulate when looking at Japanese tools, if there's an animal in the name, don't expect very much.

(Animals seem to be some sort of code spelling "mediocrity".)

Stu.
    You know, I did actually wonder about that. The elaborate engraving seems at odds with the usual restraint you see on good Japanese tools.

Will email about that other one before I get too carried away.

Just thought I'd update this thread with a quick initial review of my first 'proper' Kanna.

The beast in question is a 65mm Tsunesaburo Doshyoponne from Stu at Tools from Japan, a 10th anniversary present from my wife. As Stu said above, it's Tsunesaburo's cheapest kamaji backed plane, and a good little starting point into the world of kanna.

Stu has said a lot about how these things are ready to go straight out of the box, so I thought I'd put that to the test. I opened the box, took the blade out to have a look at it, put it into the dai and tapped it into place. Grabbed a bit of Matai (a hardish softwood), and after a few extra taps to refine the adjustment, I was making transparent full-width shavings. So, I can confirm that Stu's 100% correct on this point!

Although it worked well on the Matai, it was a little hesitant when I tried it on some American Oak - nothing that sharpening the thing wouldn't fix. This is when the trouble started.

I introduced the blade to my Suehiro 6000 grit stone, which took one look at it and said "You've got to be kidding me." This is seriously tough steel. I know the Suehiro isn't exactly the last word in modern abrasives, but it's actually coped suprisingly well with Thumbsucker's M2 stanely irons, and my white steel chisels. I think it's met its match in the Tsunesaburo though.

Anyway, after much effort the blade is now sharpish (not 100%, but pretty good), and it's whipping through the oak with little or no effort.

Overall first impression is very, very good. I don't have any experience with "premium" planes of any sort, but to me the of this performance is pretty bloody impressive. And it works perfecty straight out of the box. I'll add some pics when I get around to taking some...