Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bunnings used to have water based stains but haven't checked them out lately Maybe Masters might be worth a look Although I found Masters not to be cheap with their paints and stains along with a lot of other stuff the sell.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

hi geoff thanks for your compliment on my work well i srpay my stain and then apply 2 coats of undercoat then i sand it down with fine grain sandpaper and to finish 1 coat of mat varnish all my stains-varnishes are waterbased. bye mate michael

Zweihorn | Clear varnishes

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    Bunnings used to have water based stains but haven't checked them out lately Maybe Masters might be worth a look Although I found Masters not to be cheap with their paints and stains along with a lot of other stuff the sell.
    Thanks Munruben, I dropped into Bunnings last night and they don't have a great deal of water based stains at all really...

Quote Originally Posted by greek carpenter View Post
    hi geoff thanks for your compliment on my work well i srpay my stain and then apply 2 coats of undercoat then i sand it down with fine grain sandpaper and to finish 1 coat of mat varnish all my stains-varnishes are waterbased. bye mate michael.
    You're welcome for the compliments Greek as your work is truly beautiful. I appreciate you sharing your work with me and for your comments on this thread. Thanks mate.

2 last things... I bought a tin of Cabots water based stain from Bunnings and it says nothing about spraying.... can I spray it?

And the best way to clean my gun after I've spray my water based stain through it?

Thanks
    Geoff

dont worry spray it my stains say nothing about spraying too. clean your gun with lots off water.

Hi Greek, I rang cabots yesterdday and asked if I could spray it and they said no... SPEWING!! I got started yesterday on applying it with a brush and then rubbing it of - man that job sucks eggs!!

I didn't take munruben's advice and apply a shelac before adding the finish and I must admit it does look blotchy in parts.... I really wanted to spray the finish but because I had it tinted I couldn't take it back for a refund and the wife likes the colour.

All about learning as you go too I guess wish I used the sanding sealer before I applied the stain now.

I'm hoping it looks good after I give it another coat and a coat of clears tofinish it off.

post a photo lets see what it looks like

Hi Greek.. you got it mate.

I have bought a small tin of sanding sealer to try out on some picture frames I'm going to make for the wife, so it will be interesting to see how that looks and works out.

I'm such a novice at this finishing business.... I'd love to get your results greek.

looks great mate, i like how the grain stands out well done.

michael

Thanks Michael...... I'm not ecstatic with the finish but it's done so it will have to do.

I'm gonna put 2 coats of clears over the top.

I brought a tin of the water based cabathane clear and when I spray it I feel as though I'm getting a good coverage but look abduction it appears as though I have dry parts on the piece... its as though I have some wet parts and parts that look like someone has put a blow dryer over certain parts and dried them... what am I doing wrong please?

Thanks
    Geoff

did u spray alot of clear at once? how long after the stain did u spray? are u spraying in a dry closed area? its happen to me too what i did wrong was that i aplied tha stain and then left it for a few days then sprayed it most probaly moisture got to the wood and thats bad for water based clears. stains some times take longer to dry it might look dry but once u spray it and it starts to dry u will see shades,if u are spraying in a damp shed-garage u will get the same result. sand it as much as u can without getting to the stain then spray it again but dont spray alot on, its better to do 2-3 coat with a bit of drying time read the instructions what to do from coat to coat u might have to sand it

michael

Well here she is. Not complete as yet as I need to make the drawers and trundle for underneath but my son wanted the bed in there.