G'day all,
The timber bargeboards on the gables of my 25 year old house are badly weathered in several places - the wood at the very ends is soft to touch and seems to be rotting. There's about 5 gables in total.
The roof tiles do not go over the top of the boards like some houses - they sit just behind the bargeboards, slightly lower (they are not attached to the boards). On the top of the bargeboards, a sort of metal capping runs the length. I was told the existing timber might be oregon.
I want to get the whole lot fixed, not just patched up
Looking for some thoughts on the following:
1. Get someone (a carpenter?) to replace the bargeboards completely. Is this a straightfoward job, and would it affect any other part of the roof (don't want any leaks afterwards)

2. Same as above, but using colorbond instead of timber, so it doesn't need painting (who would I get to do this, and is there a cost difference compared to timber?)

3. I've heard existing timber can be just clad/covered in colorbond so the wood doesn't get worse - is this a good idea?

If anyone has advice, or recommendations for carpenters/roofers I'd really appreciate it (outer eastern Melbourne)

many thanks!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...