Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Praise the Lord
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Thumbs down Obnoxious post.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    See you all in church!!!!
    Adrian,

Although I'm not a believer and the only times I go to church are for weddings and funerals I found your post obnoxious and insulting.

To blame a God, whom you don't believe in, for your own stupidity is even more amazing.

A reddie is on its way to you to record my disgust.

Peter.

Ps. I forgot to change it from green to red, sorry, but will remember to rectify it later when able. :mad:
    Last edited by Sturdee; 28th April 2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Correction re rep point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    Adrian,

Although I'm not a believer and the only times I go to church are for weddings and funerals I found your post obnoxious and insulting.

To blame a God, whom you don't believe in, for your own stupidity is even more amazing.

A reddie is on its way to you to record my disgust.

Peter.

Ps. I forgot to change it from green to red, sorry, but will remember to rectify it later when able. :mad:
    I agree, Peter and I am a believer, so naturally, I find these kinds of remarks offensive. It always amuses me how people who claim God doesn't exist, are quick to blame Him for their own folly.

We are encroaching on a taboo subject, however:

Although the idea of 'giving thanks' is an old one, the actual celebration of Thanksgiving was formalised by George Washington in 1789 and it is an American idea and an American holiday.

I agree that the celebration of religious holidays is a bit hypocritical for many of us. I'm not about to offer to work on Good Friday or Easter Monday but the religious overtones of those public holidays are lost on me. Same with Christmas. ANZAC day I can appreciate, despite the services etc. because it is all about the diggers and the religious part is secondary. Boxing day and Labor day - who knows what they are all about. Point is, I'm happy to have a paid day off for whatever reason.

However, if we are to have Thanksgiving, to whom or what are the remainder of the Australian population - those who are not practicing Christians - giving thanks to?

And guys, I think you should lighten up a bit on Adrian. He never actually blamed God for his misfortunes, he just implied (and from what I can tell in a tongue-in-cheek manner) that there was no almighty force watching over him in his workshop. Perhaps the bit about the labotomy was a little ill-advised though....
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    However, if we are to have Thanksgiving, to whom or what are the remainder of the Australian population - those who are not practicing Christians - giving thanks to?
    Bradman?

O.K. I'm being flippant. I also agree with the thrust of your post.

I'm being flippant.
    Not at all. Makes a lot of sense to me
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default Why I Am Thankful

As an Australian, I have many reasons for being thankful.

I am thankful for:
      • living in a wonderful country
      • the freedom I have to express my opinions without fear of prosecution (as long as I don't vilify others in the process)
      • having a say in how I am governed (i.e. democracy)
      • a free press
      • the bounty that is ours:
        • food a plenty
        • fresh air
        • clean water
      • near full employment
      • high standard of living (by world standards)
      • good education system
      • good medical system
      • beautiful weather
      • marvelous scenery
      • bountiful oceans
      • clean air
      • modern infrastructures
      • freedom of travel
      • great woodworking community (OK, maybe I'm getting carried away here )
      • the freedom to pursue my personal interests
      • religious freedom
      • for family and friends
    Well, you get the point.

To whom I express my thankfulness is my own business. As a believer, I am thankful to God for these things. But even if I were not a person of faith, it seems to me that it would be a very positive and uplifting idea to have a day set aside to express our appreciation to each other for what it means to be a citizen of this wonderful country.

I see little to be gained in bashing an idea just because it is an American practice. We are quick to accept so many negative aspects of American culture, it seems to me that this one will do us no harm and more likely will be a positive affirmation of what it means to be Australian.

Woodchuck Canuck steps down from the soap box and bows graciously to the audience.
    Last edited by DPB; 28th April 2005 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPB
    it seems to me that it would be a very positive and uplifting idea to have a day set aside to express our appreciation to each other for what it means to be a citizen of the wonderful country.
    I thought Australia Day was supposed to cover that.

it seems to me that it would be a very positive and uplifting idea to have a day set aside to express our appreciation to each other for what it means to be a citizen of the wonderful country.
    I thought that was the idea of Australia Day.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    We are encroaching on a taboo subject,........ ................. Perhaps the bit about the labotomy was a little ill-advised though....
    Discussing religious freedom rather than a particular religion is not taboo. My objection is based on the attempt to denigrate those that believe in a God, same as it would be if it was about Allah or Buddha or a Supreme Being.

In particular the labotomy bit I feel was insulting to them.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    Discussing religious freedom rather than a particular religion is not taboo. My objection is based on the attempt to denigrate those that believe in a God, same as it would be if it was about Allah or Buddha or a Supreme Being.

In particular the labotomy bit I feel was insulting to them.

Peter.
    So did I. It has been edited.

I think you should go one step further . it's time to close this one IMHO.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Remind me to be more serious when I post anything. It seems some people CAN see evidence of a god. Sorry guys.

If you look at the advertising hoardings on the way to Port Macquarie you will be informed that 'God Lives Here'. I guess we get a little complacent here since he's a resident.

Now that Adrian has replied I shall close it.