Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Confused on types of finish

Hello all
    My name is Michael and am really needing some advise on using Danish/Tung Oil.
    My main concern is what is the actual process of the "rubbing in" with these oils.
    The finish is for some boxes that are currently being done for my daughter and wife.I would like a really simple process.I have also heard of wipe on poly but i dont know anything about this.
    Thank you all in advise

Every-time I look there are more types of oil to consider, you mentioned Danish Oil, (it has a variant, Hard Wax Oil (it's got a wax in it)), other variants include , Teak oil, all these are based on Mineral (highly refined car) oils. But what about Vegetable, Seed (sesame) or nut (Tung, raw or boiled Linseed, Walnut or Hazelnut) or a fruit oil such as Lemon Oil (acutually from lemon grass). Careful, some can go rancid!

Some are Gloss, some Matt and of course some in-between. Some are food safe (that's a whole new discussion), some need a couple of coats some need many.

You specifically asked about, Danish (gives a high Gloss finish) and Tung (Matt finish but useful for a foodsafe (salad bowl)).

Use is easy, Wipe on and after a few minutes wipe off any excess, allow to dry and repeat daily for as many days as you need for the finish you need. Allow a couple of weeks for a really good DO finish.

Advantage: it really penetrates the wood and provides a deep finish.
    Disadvantage: it may need a good buffing to really bring out the shine or get a really smooth finish (depending upon the dust in your workshop/finishing room)

WoP is far quicker, wipe on, allow to dry - do you need another coat yes, de-nib and reapply ; no - done.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!