Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Traditional Wax over EEE?

G'day to those in the know,

I have nearly finished a new desk. Used hard shellac followed by EEE.

This is the first thing I have built in years, I have some Traditional Wax on my shelf (not that old).

I cant remember if I should be putting a coat or two of that on over the EEE?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Peter

I did on my Queen Anne Dresser and it looks good. eee is not a finish in it self, it is usual to use a wax after. I found it improved the finish a little and TFW by U-Beaut does not attract dust so they say. Do not under any circumstances put poly over it, I had a very bad problem when I did.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

The shellac is a finish in itself. If it looks OK I wouldn't be putting a wax over the top.

EEE (Tripoli - get it? ) is used as a very fine abrasive. Make sure you wipe it all off once you've worked it over the surface.

I use it often and have found sometimes the piece doesn't look like it needs any wax afterwards. As says, if it looks good as is, then probably no need for wax.

If you wanted to wax, then yes, put it on after the EEE treatment.

Cheers,
    Af.

Thanks guys.

It looks awesome as it is, I just wasn't sure if there was any benefit in waxing it afterwards

I did a bit more digging, here is an old quote from God.....erh Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    EEE is Traditional Wax with Tripoli abrasive added to it. So after using it you are left with a brilliant finish which is basically an ultra thin layer of Traditional Wax.

Traditional wax is more used for upkeep of finish. If you have a brilliant, hard, durable finish and then applying a wax to it is a waste of time unless it has dulled with age and needs a lift. Most waxes are reasonably easy to mark with water, heat, alcohol, sticky fingered little kids, etc and will also attract finger marks dust, etc. So..... If you already have a good finish leave it alone.

Cheers - Neil

PS The minute amount of wax left behind from the EEE shouldn't have any affect on the surface like applying a final wax coat will.

Elill, you fogot "EEE - Ultra Shine can also be used by French Polishers and restorers, to cut and polish old surfaces or to enhance a new finish with a higher, smoother, shine (P124 A Polishers Handbook)", thats why I used EEE after French Polishing and found it was so. I know I read that EEE on its own can go funny after a couple of weeks if not given a wax or other finish over it, I just can't remember where I read it and I'm not going to read Neils book again to find it. Maybe I'm confused, who knows.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Not everybody read the original post carefully....

The item got hard shellac followed by EEE.

Hard shellac is a finish.
    EEE is a polish.
    Trad wax is a finish.

As says, since it already has the Hard shellac, it doesn't need the Trad wax.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.