Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power drive

Quote Originally Posted by morrisman View Post
    HI,
    I think it would be fine, it certainly would have the Power at 160 Watt. You would need to slow it down though as Sterob Stated
    Quote 'Too slow will be a bit annoying and too fast will be too hard to stop at desired points.' end Quote - So very true.

Switching the 16 Amps shouldn't be a Problem. The Motor looks like it is a two Wire Job, so I assume that it's just a matter of reversing the Polarity to the Wires. Powertrim Motors on Outboards only have two Wires except for the earlier ones that used Solenoids to Switch the Polarity. Just looking at Mercury at Johnson Outboards (the Yamaha System is their own and parts are Expensive). The Mercury and Johnson Outboards both use Relays to Switch the Polarity. The Trim switches themselves are basically three position momentary switches.

So Yes You can use a Relay to switch the Polarity, as for a Car Headlight Relay No they are not the right type. If You decide to use a DC Motor that changes Direction by Reverse the Polarity between two Wires let Me know and I will Supply You with a Johnson or Mercury Wiring Diagram and tell You the Type of Relay that You need to use.

Here is a Link to a Speed Controller 16A 12-28V DC Motor Speed Control PWM Controller 400W | eBay .
    All The Best steran50 Stewart

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at once.

HI Again,
    It looks like these Speed Controllers will do both direction Control and Speed Speed Controllers for AC & DC Motors .
    All The Best steran50 Stewart

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisman View Post
    Mike,

That looks similar to motors used for battery powered wheelchairs - typically one gearmotor on each rear wheel, but usually 24V these days.

It might be easiest to start with an estimate of the torque needed to turn the head-lifting crank. With the crank arm horizontal, how much weight on the handle does it take on the end to get the crank moving? You want the worst case - lifting the head. Measure the length of the crank (centre of handle to centre of axle) and the torque is (length of crank)x(load to get crank moving). You will need to get the units of measure right for the on-line calculator (see below). Then decide what speed (rpm) you want the gearmotor to drive the thing and you have enough information to work out the power needed. There's a nice rpm, torque and power calculator at Watts Calculator. When shopping this helps to fill in the gaps if you get only two of the three (rpm, power, torque), and also allows conversion between different units of measure - very handy.

Cheers,
    Bill

Default info

Stewart

This one would be ideal SC240FR... thanks for that . I wonder how much ot it is Aussie made though

Bill

Now I see what maths classes at school were for ..why didn't they tell us back then . Instead of just writing esoteric explanations on the blackboard , which were meaningless to look at . They should have had a context to place maths into . Practical stuff, not meaningless puzzles

MIKE