Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Oil over acrylic paint?

I want to use an oil over acrylic paint. Is this an option and if so, what oil is best? It will be used on toys so must be food-/childsafe.

I want to get rid of brushes (can't get a smooth finish) and I would like to avoid spraying. I am experimenting with thinned acrylic paint which can be applied with a rag and looks like a stain with a lot of grain showing what is exactly the look I want. I want to apply an oil to get a durable finish and want to know what will work best.

Thanks,

Bob

Acrylic Paint is a form of plastic paint. Normally you'd not expect to get oil to be absorbed through it into the wood.

However you say you''re using thinned acrylic. Water or acrylic thinners? You should be lucky and be able to use most oil products.

Food Safe for children. I'd be tempted to go with Tung Oil (Pure). But the local guy's may be able to direct you to another suitable oil as well.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!

Acrylic paint is food safe? I would be checking the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product you are using before committing to that finish. There are other ways of colouring wood that will get the same result that are food safe. You could even try food colouring.

Colour fastness might not be that great but I assume we are talking about children's toys so that may not be an issue.

Putting oils straight over acrylics technically and theoretically doesn't work.
    I'm saying that as a signwriter who's been confronted with all sorts of painted surfaces & had to repaint them with various stuffs.

But...there are oil-modified acrylic paints you can use as a barrier, either under or over either oil-based paints or acrylics. Generally they're an undercoat type of paint.

However I've been using some of the linseed waxes and linseed oil paints that a company we did a website for sells, and I really like them!
    The linseed paints can be wiped on timber like a stain, and wiped off and left to penetrate-they are just raw pure linseed oil and pigments-no solvents, and no smell except the linseed oil/putty-like smell.

The linseed wax (neutral colour) I've used on a silky oak dash for my son's ute, and it came up in my opinion really nicely.
    They also have small 200 ml containers of the paints, oils & waxes.
    It all takes a bit of getting used to, as the natural pigments are pretty concentrated in the products-a little covers a lot!

Their website is Olde World Paints Home Page

They are affiliated with Allback Linseed Oil paints in Sweden, so you might find them available in Holland.

(P.S. we make nothing from this recomendation)
    Last edited by Stewey; 30th December 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the disclaimer

Thanks for all your tips. They were helpfull and I will look further into them.