Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: G'd evenin'.

Default G'd evenin'.

G'day or G'd evenin' whatever the case may be in your neck of the woods.

My name's Matt. 26. Brisbane.

About 2 years ago I thought I'd go out on a limb and try and make something nice for my lady friend rather than just buy her the usual smelly stuff or fluffy things she likes. I ham-fisted my way though some radiata using cheap hand-tools and ended up with something that was hideous and awkward and about as square as a tennis ball. She absolutely loved it.

Even though that little adventure turned out less neat than a dropped pie, I discovered that I really loved meandering about with a few hunks of wood. It was soothing and, though what I first made would be better used in a fire place, rewarding.

Since then I've taken my time and stayed humble. Messing around with the pine and getting my technique better--learned an awful lot from these forums if I'm honest--and slowly amassing better tools and enough brass hardware to cast a horn section.

I'm still knocking out boxes, and most of it still done by hand, but they're starting to look a bit more presentable. Much nicer timbers, hardware, joinery and finishing. I've still got miles to go.

Some of the work you mob produce really is jaw-dropping stuff. I'm looking forward to picking some of your brains and maybe some day I'll be of some use to someone else for the same reason.

Thanks for reading!
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Good for you. Can only improve by 'having a go'. I am sure your work is not as bad as you say, and yes, this is the place to pick up all sorts of tips and techniques not matter what sort of woodwork you do. Lots of helpful people here.

Welcome to the gang.

Cheers
    Pops

G'day there Pops,

Thanks very much for the reply!

I found a picture of the thingamejig I first mashed together. Here's a flattering photo of it: http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5761508_n.jpg

At this angle you can't tell it's a bit on the skewed side.

This was new at the time. Shortly thereafter half the lacquer'd come off and the hinges had threaded and come out haha. Still, it wasn't terrible. But then you spend enough time going through these forums and you start feeling very ordinary indeed!

Trial and error and giving it a go, that's the way I reckon. Pleased to meet you.

- Matt

That's a pretty good effort Matt, welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing your future projects.....cheers Kerry

Welcome to the forum. I have said it before and I will say it again as many others will atest to, we all have to start somewhere.

That's very kind of you to say Kerry, and thank you Christos.

One thing I will say is that I really do love the 'atmosphere' on these forums. Just a bunch of blokes and ladies appreciating each other's creations and sharing tips and knowledge and encouragement, even though a good lot of you are obviously masters of your craft.

I guess I've been hanging around guitarists too long. (prone to saying things like "that's crap, I can do that better" etc).

- Matt

welcome to the forum

Welcome Matt, nice to have you aboard. A few pics of your projects wouldn't go amiss.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

welcome, there is nothing wrong with that, if that is your first attempt then I'd like to see all your later work.CD