Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taper turning

Dave, thanks for the link. What you say makes sense, though that diagram is a bit cryptic. With a drill an extra reduction is certainly needed, at least for fine finishes, and I guess there's a few ways you could do that. Spur gears, bevel gears, worm drive, even a mini toothed belt. Spur gears or pulleys make more sense for the packaging requirements, though I have a hankering to try a worm drive.

I've pulled two very different drills apart now and both have reductions of 40:1, and top output speeds around 500 rpm. So Stuart's idea of stacking gearboxes might be too slow. A second stage of maybe 10:1 would work I reckon.

I'm starting to feel like I'm hijacking this thread. I will post a new one when I have something interesting to report. Before I go, I would like to ask if anyone knows of any lathe that came with a powered compound? I've done a bit of googling but found nothing as yet. It's an interesting challenge; it's hard to believe no manufacturer has tackled it.

If it is taper related you are not hijacking... I have been very slack and have not yet written up two methods to set the top slide.... I have done a video on it, but I self narrated it and will probably confuse people more then help them...

One requires a sine bar and gauge blocks, but no reference taper.... The other requires a reference taper able to be chucked up...
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Found a stonking Leblond. Nothing visible. Presumably shafts and gears. Seen at 7:24. (Turn your sound down to avoid Mr Shouty.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXFsVnnNhY0]LEBLOND NR LATHE - 54 x 163 - Great Condition - YouTube[/ame]

The Stanko is another lathe that has powered compound, and taper turning using cross slide and compound feed depending on the model.