Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: skylights

Default skylights

Our kitchen is on the eastern side of the house and is toward the inside of the house (sleepout and then roofed verandah to outside). It has a skylight in already but the roof window is on the eastern side of the house too so that lighting OK til about 2-3 pm and then lights have to go on.

We need to put a new ceiling up in the kitchen and I would like to fit a new skylight. Have seen ones with long reflective tubing and suspect this is what we need so that roof window or dome or whatever can go on western side of roof.

I heard recently that the new skylights can vent also but am having trouble finding skylight showrooms to talk to anyone about it. Went to 2 places yesterday in Ozzie Park (Perth) and they both were very small back-yard jobs.

Any suggestions or knowledge appreciated (BTW, this is a great forum...I have answers to all the questions I've posted within days).

Thanks,
    Buttercup.

Bunnings (in Melbourne at least) stock a brand of skylights that also has a vent option in it. I can't think of the brand at the moment.

We installed an Abbey skylight in the kitchen about 6 weeks ago. This is one of the round ones with the flexible reflective shaft. We are very happy with it.

The information on the box says that you can install it as vented or non vented but I think this is an exaguration. When you unpack the box, the flexible shaft is attached to the roof section and at the end of installation you pull this down and attach it to the fitting that you have cut into the ceiling. The last thing you do is clip the ceiling diffuser on, pushing it up flush with ceiling for non vented, or leaving it about 5mm proud of the ceiling for vented.
    In the vented mode, all I can see is that there is a free movement of air between the house and the skylight tube and maybe the dusty roof cavity. I could not see any venting through the roof section.

By the way, the flexible tube is 2m long fully extended.

Once again, we are happy with the result

Jon

Calidad industries have some units on display, they're in Wangara, 22 Conquest Way. Ph9302 6622.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    Our kitchen is on the eastern side of the house and is toward the inside of the house (sleepout and then roofed verandah to outside). It has a skylight in already but the roof window is on the eastern side of the house too so that lighting OK til about 2-3 pm and then lights have to go on.

We need to put a new ceiling up in the kitchen and I would like to fit a new skylight. Have seen ones with long reflective tubing and suspect this is what we need so that roof window or dome or whatever can go on western side of roof.

I heard recently that the new skylights can vent also but am having trouble finding skylight showrooms to talk to anyone about it. Went to 2 places yesterday in Ozzie Park (Perth) and they both were very small back-yard jobs.

Any suggestions or knowledge appreciated (BTW, this is a great forum...I have answers to all the questions I've posted within days).

Thanks,
    Buttercup.

Smile Skylight

I too purchased an Abbey skylight.
    I purchased a 500mm unit as it has a shaft that extends to 2.5M.
    There are small holes for ventilation all around the dome and the ventilation does work.I am very happy with the amount of light from such a long distance shaft.
    It was also very easy to install.I bought mine for $399 at Bunnies.

Micko