Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fitting Incra to Triton wc 2000

Hi guys(and any gals)
    my first post here from South Africa. I have browsed and surfed quite a bit but cant seem to find a nice mod thread where somebody pimped their Triton and maybe fitted it with an Incra saw fence.
    I have been using my Triton quite extensively and the markings on the fence is getting harder and harder to adjust accurately, therefore my reason to see if I can fit an aftermarket fence?

Firstly , I am an absolute admirer of the Triton saw bench. A wonderful, value for money product that I happily used for many many years.

However - there is always a however, once you start talking about fitting an Incra fence, you have probably outgrown the Triton.

I really don't think that it would be possible to tune the Triton table and the 9 inch circular saw hanging under it to get the accuracy out of a fence such as the Incra. I won't say that it CAN"T be done, I just don't think that it is likely.

My advice would be to get yourself a 10 inch, cast iron top table saw and then start experimenting with fences.

If however - see there it is again, you are successful in fitting an accurate after market fence to the Trton and making it work to spec. I will be among the first to buy your best selling book "Incra and Triton for Dummies". There are hundreds of thousands of Tritons out there so the book would hit a great market.

Good luck! I really hope it works.

Well I have a Triton and an Incra TSLS system but not fitted yet. I plan to try and fit it over xmas. Want to bet I can't do it, you just wait and see, then you can buy my book.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

I would have thought that fitting an Incra TS-LS fence to a Triton sawbench, whichever model, would be somewhat akin to fitting a 2011 model Mercedes turbocharged diesel engine to a 1970 Holden Kingswood. Interesting, but somehow rather futile.

Don't get me wrong, not decrying Triton saw benches, have owned both a Mk3 and a 2000 model, but fitting a super accurate Incra saw fence to either of them defies logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbunny View Post
    Well I have a Triton and an Incra TSLS system but not fitted yet. I plan to try and fit it over xmas. Want to bet I can't do it, you just wait and see, then you can buy my book.

SB
    Good for you.

No. I don't want to bet you can't do it. I hope you can.

It is a very interesting, perhaps even courageous idea.

However,( -geez there's another however), it could just work and WHAMMO!!! , instant stardom. My MkIII Triton is sitting in my shed primed and ready to go with .5mm and better accuracy in both planes. Just tell me how

Do it. I will buy your book and recommend it to everyone I know that has a Triton.

HeHe thanks guys, yes actually my thoughts as well. First major problem I see is that the top and sides dont make a 90 degree angle, so maybe it is a good idea to retire the saw from down under

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    First major problem I see is that the top and sides dont make a 90 degree angle
    Then I guess I'l have to make them 90 degrees. Don't let small things get in the way I say. Maybe I'l fail, but it wont be for the lack of trying. I've already done some pre lim work as the Triton is longer than the width of the fence carrier but I have a solution for that. The rest will have to wait till xmas as I have too much on at present. I will have pics if it all goes well.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Fitting the fence isn't the problem. Making it work isn't the problem. The incra is a 1/1000" fence. A triton isn't a 1/1000" saw table.

My mk3 did what it did just fine, but as Fred says above the difference between a triton and a good quality table saw is the difference between a land rover and a lotus. Love them both but built for quite different purposes. Both are cars, both drive, both suit their intended purposes very nicely, they are not the same. An incra on a triton is like a spoiler on a land rover or 32" offroad tyres on a lotus.

If you want to do it go for it, it's all good fun, but having had both I wouldn't particularly enjoy using the result to do any work.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Ok I am the idiot, I actually did it. I fitted the 17 inch router fence with wonder fence to the Triton maxi extension table on a sheet of ply and was able to use it as a tablesaw fence and a router fence.

as a result I found the triton gear to be lacking the accuracy I sought (pressed metal tables just dont do it). Dont get me wrong, Ive had triton for many years and it is a good product but Triton allowed me to develop my skills past what it can support even with an incra system attached.

If someone was starting out, I would still recommend Triton but sooner or later many woodworkers will outgrow it. My 17 inch (metric) positioner is now on an incra table and I will definitely be getting a tsls system for my new tablesaw.

Even though I have the new tablesaw, today I helped my son make some MDF speaker boxes and we did it on the triton because he is a beginner and the triton is easy to learn. the rebates we turned out were spot on.

Back to the original point, dont bother trying to fit an incra system to a triton product (except if you have a triton router in an incra table) or you are looking at a lot of cost in upgrading from triton to something that will complement incra's accuracy.

Been there done that

Doug