Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Cleaning timber

Default Cleaning timber

As can be seen by my other postings on this BB I am in the process of restoring a Clinker Speed boat.

I have been using "Coopers" paint stripper to remove the paint and varnish from the inside f the boat. I have used about 3 liters so far and have done about55 60% of the inside of the boat.

I want to get the inside really clean and have found that the flushing solution gets rid og a lot of the dirt.

I am wondering what the thoughts are of using a timber cleaning product like Cabots Deck Clean to really get the interior clean. I am proposing to mix up the solution iaw instructions, pray the solution on using a pressure garden sprayer, scrub with a stiff dust pan broom and then flush everything away with the Karcher.

What is the general thoughts on this idea?

Peter Sneddon

Default Cleaning timber

Has anyone any thoughts on my proposal?

Hi Piquet, from my basic understanding of such matters, that sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I do know from others in the past, that the use of oxalic acid can be a good method of neutralising any remaining effects from paint strippers, though I have never tried it myself.

Normally, my approach when cleaning up after paint stripping, and I havn't worked on a wooden boat but rather painted joinery or antiques, is to simply use metho and coarse steel wool, and in some instances re-go over the surface with warm water and a mild soap/detergent to wash any residual muck away. However, such an approach I doubt would be practical in your instance.

So if it were me working on a similar project as you are, I think I too would probably do as you suggest. The Karcher shouldn't be a problem given we are talking about a boat than an antique.

Perhaps other's more experienced might have suggestions. Or alternatively I suppose you could always discuss your ideas with a boat yard/ship chandlers ???