Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  1
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hercus 260 ATM motor ID

Hi all,

I need some help to identify the 3 phase motor that came with my Hercus 260 ATM (manufactured 1978). I adapted a single phase motor when I first got the lathe, but would now like to re-fit the 3 phase motor coupled to a VSD. Unfortunately, the original motor came without its name/specification plate. If anyone can accurately ID the motor from the attached photos, and post the details from their plate, it would be greatly appreciated.

Al.

Dave J Guest

I am not sure if you already know but I will say it any way.
    Do you know you will have to dig into the motor to find other terminals? Because a VFD compatible motor should have 6 terminals where yours has only 4.

Dave

Probably a Compton Parkinson... Does it have a 5/8 shaft?
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Hi,
    Pretty sure its a McColl Electric Industries 0.5 HP. Looks very similar to the one I'm replacing right now with a 1 HP CMG Singe phase motor. I posted the ID plate details on a previous thread "Another VFD Question" .
    Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Probably a Compton Parkinson... Does it have a 5/8 shaft?
    Thanks .RC. The keyed shaft for the pulley is 5/8, after stepping down from 0.667" at the bearing. Any idea where I can get more info on the Compton Parkinson?

Quote Originally Posted by bwal74 View Post
    Hi,
    Pretty sure its a McColl Electric Industries 0.5 HP. Looks very similar to the one I'm replacing right now ......... I posted the ID plate details on a previous thread "Another VFD Question" .
    Ben.
    Thanks Ben. In your "Another VFD Question" post you mention that your motor is in star configuration. I think my motor only only configures as delta, so suspect it is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    I am not sure if you already know but I will say it any way.
    Do you know you will have to dig into the motor to find other terminals? Because a VFD compatible motor should have 6 terminals where yours has only 4.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, you may have saved me a lot of time and expence. I'm new to VSD/VFDs (and have little very knowledge of AC theory). The various VSD connection diagrams that I have download only show 3 connections to the motor (normally labelled as U V W). If you could explain the other 3 connections, or refer me to some good links, it would be much appreciated. Don't know if it's relevant, but the 4th terminal on my motor appears to be an open circuit to the other terminals, as well as the case.