Default staining dark timber to make it lighter?

G'dat mates.

I was replacing a slap of timber flooring over the weekend and turned out that I bought the wrong timber. I should have got NSW spotted gum but ended up getting QLD S/gum (I didn't know they were different)

So now, as you can see in the pic, the color don't match, and I was thinking maybe I could use some sort of stain (maple?) to make it lighter so that the colour can match a bit more consistent?

I have never stain before, so don't know if this would work at all. (lighter stain on darker timber).

What do you think? Any other suggestions on how to match the colour?

Appreciate your input,
    cheers,

James

When it comes to colour matching spotted gum, you really open a can of worms. there are several variants in spotted gum and also lemon scented gum gets sold as spotted. Bleaching may be your best option. Otherwise, enjoy the contrast.

Yup - it isn't staining you need, but bleaching. Oxalic acid might lighten it a touch, but maybe not enough?

Tricky to get a good match.

Looks like Blackbutt or Tallowwood would have been closer, chances of bleaching it out now are pretty slim. I'd rip it up and do it again.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Default Staining darker timber

What a shame but you would not be the only one to be caught out. Oxilic acid wont be enough to bleach it to match. Either keep it as feature or replace it as mentioned.
    Staining darker timber can be done but it ends up looking cloudy.
    Livos Australia

<O</O

thanks for the advice guys.
    for now I will just "enjoy the contrast", I personally don't really mind a bit of difference but I guess at one stage I will have to rip it out if I could find a plank that has a better matched colour.

thanks again.

James

Try a bit of shellac on some scrap. Weak coat.

To remove the natural colour of most timbers you can use a two part mix of sodium hydroxide and a strong hydrogen peroxide solution. You can apply the sodium hydroxide first and then immediately follow with hydrogen peroxide. You can also mix them together and apply, you should were gloves, goggles and a filtered mask. You can apply more than once and then nuetralise with 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water then rinse with water, sand lightly and apply stain to match the other boards, of course try on a sample first. I hope this is helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B.W View Post
    To remove the natural colour of most timbers you can use a two part mix of sodium hydroxide and a strong hydrogen peroxide solution. You can apply the sodium hydroxide first and then immediately follow with hydrogen peroxide. You can also mix them together and apply, you should were gloves, goggles and a filtered mask. You can apply more than once and then nuetralise with 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water then rinse with water, sand lightly and apply stain to match the other boards, of course try on a sample first. I hope this is helpfull.
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely give a go on the off-cuts if I can find the chemical. Bunnings should have all these right?

In the mean time, I varnished the timber last night, turned out it wasn't that bad. If the bleaching method works, I can always sand of the coat.

JBW's on the right track. That is the mix I would use. Use protection. "Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Peroxide wood bleaches can be found in paint stores and some hardware stores, call around before you go.

Aside from the mandatory personal protection I'd raise one further note of caution about any form of bleaching. It often "softens" the top layer of a piece of timber. It's not so much a problem in many furniture applications but on a floor or step you'd want to try it on a test piece first.

Your dead right, some timbers are affected. Fortunately, spotted gum is ok.