Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two man rip saw

The saw you describe sounds more like a felling or tree saw. If so, then the teeth would be in a crosscut configuration. this is not what you want for ripping. Spotted gum, Iron bark? Why not chuck in a bit of RSJ for good measure? Your gunna hurt and hurt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    The saw you describe sounds more like a felling or tree saw. If so, then the teeth would be in a crosscut configuration. this is not what you want for ripping.
    Yeah it gets worse Rusty. Since I posted the original question, it bugged me a little bit this old saw. I remember how it looked vividly but I felt like there was something about it I'd forgotten.

There was.

I hesitate to admit it, but I can't live with this anymore... As a very stoned 18 year old I ground its teeth off to make a singing saw. Mia Culpa. Unfortunately the saw was no better at singing than it would have been at ripping. If it did sing only whales or bats heard it (actually I now remember that I heard quite a bit about it at the time).

I know it's the wrong crowd to make such a shameful admission to, but there it is. I'm a saw murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I know it's the wrong crowd to make such a shameful admission to, but there it is. I'm a saw murderer.
    We should be able to give you some consideration for making a clean confession. Let's see, how about just burning at the stake instead of drawing & quartering?

I'm not ever going to confess to some of the "repair" jobs I did on unsuspecting tools & furniture in my early days......

Cheers,
    IW

My father in law plays the saw. May be I should knock his teeth out too.

Berlin

This may be a little academic now you have confessed to making your saw a smooth cut, but the pit referred to before need not neccessarily be a hole in the ground. Sawyers often took advantage of a convenient bank. Not the money type. Some pics for clarification.

Also this old forum post might be of interest. Has some interesting links if nothing else.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/2...ere-buy-64855/

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    My father in law plays the saw. May be I should knock his teeth out too.
    ...I'll just make the other bits smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Berlin

This may be a little academic now you have confessed to making your saw a smooth cut, but the pit referred to before need not neccessarily be a hole in the ground. Sawyers often took advantage of a convenient bank. Not the money type. Some pics for clarification.

Also this old forum post might be of interest. Has some interesting links if nothing else.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/2...ere-buy-64855/

Regards
    Paul
    Thanks Paul,

This thread has descended a bit, but I am genuinely interested in the possibility. I'll check out those links you indicate.

That said, the photos are a little unnerving. I think the underdog has more than just sawdust to worry about in some of those cases. Maybe that's why one digs a pit: you can just fill it in and stick a cross on it when you're done.

We are thinking of moving to the mountains actually which will give me two things: pine to practice on, and a good slope to build my pit/ramp. I will keep you all informed of any project.

Cheers
    Matt
    ...I'll just make the other bits smaller.