Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Broadband Router/Modems

Hei Guys,
    Finally making the move to broadband, my isp recommends the D-Llink 504 router/modem which is unavailable and I have been recommended the Netgear DG834.

Anyone using this router, any comments on it - I need to network 2 pc's and at this point in time would prefer hard wired rather than wireless.
    Cheers
    Paul

My isp supplied me with one, the best one they thought, I suppose.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy
    Hei Guys,
    Finally making the move to broadband, my isp recommends the D-Llink 504 router/modem which is unavailable and I have been recommended the Netgear DG834.

Anyone using this router, any comments on it - I need to network 2 pc's and at this point in time would prefer hard wired rather than wireless.
    Cheers
    Paul
    I can't comment on the D-Link but Netgear receives praise from just about everyone who uses it. I personally use a Billion 5100 and couldn't be happier with it. It is a 4 port modem/router. I've got 2 PC's networked using the 5100 with room for 2 more. Its been superseded by the Billion 5102 which I believe supports ADSL2. That is something you might want to consider although it could be a very long time before your telephone exchange is upgraded to support it.

I'd advise you to stay away from USB modems regardless of brand. Whilst some people have had no trouble with them, the weight of numbers suggests that ethernet connection to your computer is much more reliable and easier to setup.
    I wanted to become a brickie but my old man said "No son, learn a trade."

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy
    Hei Guys,
    Cheers
    Paul
    Paul Ive just spent the last 2 months messing about with a wireless router and have ended up having to put in another b/b connection for the laptop.
    I would advise staying away from wirless in a domestic situation unless the card is in sight of the router otherwise walls , corners, digital phones , microwave etc can cause all manner of problems.
    Ive heard that netgear product is excellent but dont use it myself as I was supplied with Linksys which I would say is not very good.
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

I have a wireless router which works just a treat. I already had a modem. My house has internal sandstone walls and I can be anywhere even outside and get a good connection.

I have a d-link and my business partner has netgear. All works fine.

I have a laptop with wireless so I can surf the BB while being with Ms. Grunt while she watches crap on Teev.
    Photo Gallery

Hei BJ,
    One pc is in the house and the other is in an out building, it's only about 15 metres but with a couple of walls in between so I am going for a hard wired set up.
    Cheers
    Paul

15 metres with a couple of walls is too far to rely on wireless - and hard wired is much faster anyway. But I would still consider wireless as an option if you might have a norebook taht you want to use in other locations.

The netgear routers are good value but not overly reliable, ie they are great when they are working but do fail often but their warranty is fine. I'd go for it.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse