Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hi all

Talking Hi all

G'day everyone.

just thought I would jump right in and introduce myself, I have been stalking the forum for a little while now.

I grew up near Taree , and spent most weekends cutting down trees, turing them into fenceposts, sleepers, and assorted boards.. well to be totally accurate I was running up and down the mountainside attaching chains , tailing out on the mill, and stacking the fence posts as they fell off the log .

Back in those days we used a Hagen saw to break down the logs for the mill, and to cut fence posts. Dad built a decent sized bench mill, and we were fairly busy most weeks.

since those days , i have kept my hand in the sawdust on and off over the years and built up a nice collection of tools ( or toys as the wife calls them- she just doesnt understand , triton, planers, routers, scroll saw, lathe , etc... etc .

I have had a dream for about 10 years or so of obtaining a lucas mill, and having a nice supply of slabs, and boards to make some furniture, and other stuff, maybe even sell a bit here and there, but mostly for myself at this stage.

Well Last week I was introduced to a man near Warchope who had a secondhand Lucas mill for sale. I drove up on Thurday to have a look, and on Saturday morning I picked it up and took it back to my place.

We arrived at my place at around 2 pm . I had unpacked and assembled it by 3 pm and by 4 pm I had taken half a dozen 6x 2 boards out of a silky oak that Dad had felled about 4 years ago.

I had a family dinner to attend , other wise I would have been happily making sawdust till dark .

Sunday morning saw me removing the blade and attaching the slabber , and an hour or two later I had 5 beautifull 2" thick Silky oak slabs . pictures to come ...

I can see where my weekends will be spent for some time to come.

I am looking forward to picking the brains of all the experienced people around on this site , and maybe even being able to provide some advice in the future.

have a great day

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum Fenwood, looking forward to seeing some WIP pics and the resulting slabs.

Welcome!

We have a saying around here, no pictures, it never happened.

What size Lucas did you get?
    Kev

Kev, I see what you are saying .......I will ensure i hae the camera next time I head up the mountain to make sawdust....

I got hold of a good second - or third - hand 6-16 runs like a dream,

Thanks to all for the welcome.