Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default HI all and help needed.

Hi all, have been lurking for the past few months and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

Always been a DIY'er and loved my woodwork but never really got serious about it, probably due to the lack of tools. Most of my projects were made from either MDF or plywood. The past few months decided to get myself some serious big boy toys.

So far have bought myself some second hand machinery. Currently on the list is a 12in thicknesser, a bandsaw and today I picked up a 12in table saw.

This is were I need help, the cast iron top has some surface rust and I would like to clean it and bring it back to it's former glory. How do I go about this? Which products do I need and what is the best method in cleaning it.

TIA

Zack

Welcome to the Forum shake......for the rust I would try a circular wire brush in an electric drill, the a spray of WD40 and wet and dry paper to finish the process.

Welcome to the forum.

I use a strip it disk to remove rust on an angle grinder. Might take a look at the local hardware store.

Thanks guys, I was thinking of using a sanding disk but was a bit worried it might be a no no on the cast iron top. There isn't that much rust, most of it is just light surface rust which has discolored the top that red/brown colour. I would like to remove that and get the top looking that silver colour of metal again.

By what you are describing you might be able to get this out by some steel wool with mineral turps as lubricant. And of course elbow grease.

Clean up with a rag as you go along to check progress.

Get a fine grade steel wool from the hardware store, not the ones from your grocery store.

After the clean up and it comes up shinny you want to ensure that it stay like that, best way if continual use.

There are other things to do but that a whole different topic. Do take a photo of the before and after.

If it is only light rust, sanding with a fine grade wet and dry should do the trick. Use a lubricant to help with the sanding such as a penetrating oil or something similar. Once it is brought back to a satisfactory state, go over it with a lanolin cream, applying with a rag and buffing it after it dries with a clean rag. The lanolin helps preserve the surface and prevents further rusting.
    I always leave sawdust on my TS top when I finish using it, It absorbs moisture in the air and helps to prevent rust from forming. Welcome to the forum.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John