Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How do you take . . .

. . . these knobs off?

I'd like to spruce them up a bit and was thinking it would be much easier to take them off to do it.

There are pins that go through them.

The pins will be located in the recessed area.

Not sure if they are in the inner or outer reccess.

You will need to search hard and long to locatate them.

The pins could take a reasonable amount of force to get them out after you locatae them.

Would be safer to use a press of some description tpo remove them after locateing rather than trying to knock them out with a pin punch.

If you dont want to go to the trouble of making a special extractor press,so as to not put to much force on the casting you would be better off removeing and stripping the selector levers from the shaft and removeing the finger grips,if a pin punch is used and the pins are tight to get out replacement levers are available.

Have you thought of just rubbing them with a bit of Steel Wool ,Scouring pad or just putting a bit of paint on them.

Good luck.

As Peter said they're held on with pins and can be tricky to find sometimes. Since both the pins and the knobs are steel, they can be made to blend in almost perfectly with each other. I punched mine out with a pin punch, they're not difficult to get out anda correct punch will just tap them out. However once the knobs are removed and replaced you will be able to clearly see where the pins and shaft of the knob are, unless you then take metal off by scotchbrite/buff to hide them again. In other words you don't take them off unless you really need to.

Pete

Thanks Fellas, Much appreciated

I'll reinforce the final comments of both Peters. Clean them up insitu. I did because I'm lazy. The pack of cheap brass, steel and nylon bristled brushes Bunnings sell work wonders.

BT