Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default First go at an Edge Grain chopping board

Ok decided to give an Edge Grain chopping board a go. Made it out of Jarrah and Tas Oak.

Have learnt a few things along the way..So my next one will be even better. But I will be waiting till I get my 8 inch jointer and 400mm drum sander...

So first couple is the board in the raw

IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1898.jpg

Used some good old WA orange oil to finish it off.

IMG_1899.jpg

It has made the oak turn very dark, Not quite the contrast I was looking for..

IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1902.jpg

Close up of the grain

IMG_1903.jpg

A couple of more shots of the board after an hour.. still soaking up the oil..

IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1905.jpg

Next one I make I think I will use something other than Tas Oak.. as it seemed to not as tight grained as the Jarrah.. Any suggestions??

Also looking at using Rustin's Worktop oil.. Supposedly available from Carba-Tec.

Good thing about the Orange oil the whole house smells like an orchard..

Cheers and Beers

Taz

Nice work mate

As for suggestions for other wood to use, I made one out of purpleheart and white beech last year - https://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/wi...-board-124627/

I really like using purpleheart on chopping boards- it's nice and hard, not to mention the colour. Maple is another good timber to use.

My neighbour came around today and asked me to make him one out of camphor laurel, which is another great timber because of it's anti bacterial properties.

Andy

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the ideas as for diff wood.

Had a look at your pics, nice work..

One question, what is the brand of clamps that you are using. I am using plain old sash clamps and they are a pain in the rear... i am after some new clamps and those ones look spesh..

Cheer and Beers

Taz

Hey mate,

They are bessey. Prety good clamps in my opinion, another good brand are the Jet clamps.

Andy

Look great!

I use a paraffin oil and beeswax finish on my boards. It protects it well and has a neutral taste.

Very nicely done.

Looks really great.

I have to make a couple myself soon
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

Beech is good, its super hard. Or just use a harder variety of tas oak. As you probably know, there is no actual tree called a tasmanian oak. There are about 7 completely different species of eucalypt that are all marketed as 'tasi oak'. They all vary slightly. The criteria for being labelled tasi oak is simply any light-coloured hardwood eucalyptus.