Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cleaning dust filter bags

G'day All,
    I have recently relocated my dust extractor outside to reduce dust and noise - I'm loving it - don't know how the neighbours feel....yet. Thing is, it's not in a totally weatherproof position and the filter bag has had the occasional wetting down and has become a little ummm, crusty. Iv'e given it a bashing and cleaned it as best I can but reckon the performance has dropped away. Can you wash these? Would you dare wash these? Would the good wife notice?
    Bruce.
    Three wise middle aged monkeys - "see no pot-belly, feel no bald spot, buy no sports car"

Shake the most you can out then hose them off, then put them in the washing machine if you feel the need to go that far...

Ahem, wife aside, what he said I've only put mine in the washing machine once and that was enough to put me off.

Bellyup
    If your dusty is outside why not get rid of the bag altogether?
    After a talk from an OH&S instructor at our club meeting a couple of years ago I did this . The dust bag does not trap the smallest particles and these are the ones that do you damage .
    I replaced the lower bag with a plastic one and where the top bag was, I made up a fitting from MDF and 100mm pvc tubing and an elbow and cut a hole through the side of the shed and blow it out there . The wall of my shed is only about 400mm from the fence which probably helps spread the dust cloud . I've had no complaints from the neighbours although the fence looks pretty dust now opposite the exhaust outlet .
    Ted

Thanks TT,
    Mate, if you can get away with that in Burwood I should have no trouble here!!
    I did wash the filter bag today after a thorough hosing down and it came up looking like new , sort of.
    SWMBO doesn't know yet
    What do you reckon, if I put the bag back on and then place an even bigger plastic garbage bag over the filter bag, it should protect the filter bag in case of bad weather,not that we see much out here .
    Three wise middle aged monkeys - "see no pot-belly, feel no bald spot, buy no sports car"

3RU is offline Electron controller/Manufacturer of fine shavings

Ya gotta laff.

Better in NSW than Vic. You would not have a hope in Burwood here.

Dave

Your plastic bag might blow off or inhibit the air flow . Suck it and see.
    Ted

I wash my filter bags in the washing machine about every 3 months. Residue is not a problem. FWIW, the DC bags are nothing compared to the horse blankets that get washed in our machine.

I put a large Glad garden bag over the top of the felt bag and gave it a go - looks somewhat like a hot-air balloon but so far so good - now all I need to do is wait for some rain - they said it might rain next month.
    Wifey didn't notice a thing with the washer but my white tee-shirts look vaguely...ummm...tinted.
    Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by turnerted View Post
    Bellyup
    If your dusty is outside why not get rid of the bag altogether?
    Ted
    If you install a cyclone it will filter out 99% of the dust before it gets to the felt bag. The best I have seen is Carbitec Dust Deputy which comes from USA.