Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Advice needed on rubbing out polyurethane

I live in Belize and must create my furniture out of doors. Of course, I always get some dust specks in the finish. The primary product available to me is Helsmans urethane. I have read on some websites about "rubbing out" the finish. Is this the best answer for eliminating the dust flecks? Will it be easier to handle with satin finish instead of the semi-gloss I have been trying? If rubbing out is the answer then I need some guidance. I will be going on a trip to the US next month and need to know what supplies to bring back to successfully complete the rub out process and maintain/reach the gloss finish.

rogerjenkins Guest

If you were travelling to Australia, then it would be easy to give you advice, but travelling to the USA is totally different, as what we have here in Australia is quite different to what to look for in the USA, and different brand names too, therefore the best suggestion I can give is to join a popular USA based Woodworking Forum, such as, Scroll Saw Woodworking, & Crafts, then ask the same question, as then you will be talking directly to the Americans, and they would know what products you will require to purchase. Although there are a number of USA members on this Aussie site, whether they see and read your request is another matter.

Here in Australia the most common method of, " Rubbing," Gloss Polyurathane is to use 400 grit, ( or finer ), Wet, & Dry paper, with Turpentine as the rubbing lubricant, suggest beginning with 400 grit, then work up through 500; 600; 800, etc. This Dulls the surface, also removes the dust specks. To bring up the glossy finish apply Automotive cutting compound sparingly to remove the final sanding marks, then finish off with a top quality Car Polish. Although here in Australia we have various specialized Products made by several well-known Australian Companies, the above info may be the best option for you.
    ** Another possible option is for you to check out the Wattyl Paints Australia Website, ( www.wattyl.com.au ), as from memory they ventured into the big USA market a few years ago, therefore Wattyl paints may also be able to assist you.

I also design & make solid timber kitchen tables, coffee tables; bedside cupboards for clients here in my local region of Yorke Peninsula, South Australia, and have found over the years that the most popular, & durable Polyurathane Finish is NOT the Gloss, but an equal half mix of Gloss and Satin, ( also called," eggshell " in various countries ), which develops a nice Semi-Gloss Finish when set, and any minor blemishes, ( such as dust specks ), are much harder to notice. Occasionally have even done the tabletop in Semi-Gloss Polyurathane, and the underside rail, & legs in Danish Oil to be different.
    Hope the above information is of some assistance to you,
    Roger