Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing plywood, can it be as good as timber?

Hi guys,
    looking at building an indoor snake enclosure for my brothers 21st (yuk!) and wondering if I was to use Marine plywood (for the humidity) could I ever get the finish on it as good as timber? What do you guys recommend for finishing plywood? Haven't used plywood before so really have no idea.
    Thanks in advance
    Jess

Hmm...minimal experience but metric buttloads of reading...so here's a couple of things that might help; but as to whether they're useful or suitable...well that's another story...

- Even a simple polyurethane varnish can make ply look, at least, fresh and warm (don't forget to sand it first - without going through the first ply). Many coats applied as a grain filler can make it feel nice to the touch too and gives some depth to the sheen.

- You can get fancy plys with different timber veneers on the faces, but I don't know about in marine ply. Or potentially you could apply (no pun intended) a veneer to the marine yourself. Again with the sanding, but timber veneers can be super thin, so tread carefully.

- Covering the edges with strips of similar (or even contrasting) timber does wonders for overall appearance by hiding the exposed ply layers.

Now, over to the professionals

Be aware that ply comes in various grades - the better the grade the more the $$$$'s.

Marine ply is usually pretty good but some of the building grades in the poorer quality can and does have voids and very coarse surfaces - do sand through the various grades, do apply a sealer eg FW Pine Sealer to ensure even penetration of the finish - some areas will suck up finish for as long as you wish to apply them.

If humidity is a problem, perhaps an alternative ply could be form ply - this is the stuff used in concreting formwork - "waterproof" to a large degree - has a tough brown plasticised surface [which could be left as its own finish] which would be suitable as a snake box - I would still seal the edges.

Hope it helps,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob38S; 27th July 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Lot of expensive boats out there, that are made from marine ply. Most of them are not too shabby. So I guess that what you finish it with, is what is important.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

as far as finsh you can use a floor coating, i would sand with 120G before apply a coat then cut back with 180 then put another coat on

Thanks all, I'll send photos once it's in process. Off to the joiners today to get prices and have a look at what goodies they've got.