Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Multi-Finishing Wheel, 6 in x 2 in x 1 in
    Highly conformable, soft wheel for producing uniform grain finishes on stainless steel and other metal substrates.

1. Are these wheels expensive, there's no mention on the 3M site.
    2. Are these wheels too fine to remove light rust?
    3. Who sells them, I'm in Heidelberg.
    We use these everyday to finish stainless steel to a satin finish. 150mmx50mm wide. Cost about $70ea but last a long time unless you use them to de-burr or hit sharp edges on steel all the time (pieces will flake off) We use them occasionally to take off surface rust....etc as well. You can buy the plastic insert that will allow you to run them on a tapered spindle (or make your own if you have a lathe) for about $15. Sumabrite (as someone mentioned) sells them and the plastic inserts or Suhner sells them too. They have them in fine-medium-course finish.
    www.methodmetal.com.au

Ken, Sorry, I was not aware that Jamie had left the building. I called in on him about 4 months ago and he was flat out with plenty of work coming through, though his brother (staff) was being a bit hit and miss about fronting up for work. When I visited, there was no hint that he might be planning on retiring.

I did a quick google for him and the only mention I found in 100 entries was the woodies post in this thread where you ID'd him. I was deliberately a bit crypic when I mentioned him because I knew from a post a couple of years ago that you knew who I was refering to, and I did not want to send the world to his door.

Most polishers can turn rust encrusted stuff to mirror polished, particularly if finished size is not critical, but one of Jamies rare talents was to do this with virtually any metal including very soft stuff, without noticably affecting the size.

Hi All,

Here's a thing that might be of interest, I noticed in the recently arrived H&F catalog, that they have scotchbrite belts for linishers, in brown, red, blue and grey grades..

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...ockCode=A36202

I never knew you could get scotchbrite belts... live and learn I guess...

Regards
    Ray

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Yes,
    and Hare & Forbes have a HUGE machinery sale Thursday 31st through Saturday 2nd,
    though not on the consumables...........
    Cheers, Crowie

A similar product to the 3M finishing wheel, are these Norton ones. Just can't ID them.

I managed to buy one from North East Industrial, 75mm dia, for around $3 plus the adaptor for around $7. I tried it out and it's ok, not startling. I obtained a similar result with a 75mm dia wire wheel.

There are however, less scratches.

Here's a number of shots of the pad and adaptor, top left is the one I bought, bottom right is from the Norton web site. The other shots show my Arboga handwheel showing rust removed, then partly polished with a stiff sisal wheel, grey compound, then a calico wheel with green compound.

It was just an experiment, will finish later.

Ken

i use these pads. they are 5'' and you use a gacking pad ont the back of them for an angle grinder. - KLINGSPOR Schleifsysteme GmbH & Co. KG
    you must buy a backing pad for them. i think bunnings might sell them.

I picked up a grey scotchbrite wheel at 'Farmfest' two years ago- it was 8" diam, by 1" wide, with a hole that fitted the tapered spindle on our bench grinder in place of the soft buffing wheel.

It was BRILLIANT for removing rust, some paint, and all sorts of stuff-it made the 8" wire brush obsolete till it wore away, and I haven;t been able to find another again. It was bought via one of those itinerant Indian sellers who have a multitude of drop saw cutoff wheels, cheap clamps, dees, vice grips etc in their tent.

I'd love a dozen of the wheels though.
    I also got some 4" angle-grinder grey scotchbrite pads at the same time-wore them out too-but they were great! It's a shame they're hard to locate again though.

Actually, a line earlier on in this thread shows them both exactly-the 4" angle grinder ones, and the 8" bench grinder wheel-thanks a lot!
    Here:
    POLISHING WHEEL 8" - Robson's Tool King Store

I use the Robson's wheels for deburring aluminium components before polishing. They are similar to the 3M 'light deburring wheel' rather than a 'polishing' wheel. I have used then to restore a brushed finish on stainless steel sheet and they are great for cleaning up light rust on tools too. I was fortunate to get a couple of used 3M wheels through Derek Cohen some time ago and then picked up the Robson ones at one of their stores. I also got a few of the 4" angle grinder wheels. I'd rate the Robson wheels as good as the 3M ones for what I do. The major difference is the cost, about $12 for one as opposed to $160 for the other. I was worried about what I would get at that price, but after a couple of years heavy use I wouldn't fault them.

'Suhner' is another brand to consider.

Non-woven Nylon Brushes

www.ColonialPlantationShutters.com.au
    Use your garage or home workshop to make Plantation Shutters as a business

Where can you get them retail?

Give them a call to get the nearest distributor to you.

SUHNER (Australia) PTY. LTD.
    3 / 287 Victoria Road
    Rydalmere NSW 2116
    P.O. Box 607
    Rydalmere NSW 1701

Phone: +61 (0) 2 - 96 38 66 00
    Fax: +61 (0) 2 - 96 38 77 33
    www.ColonialPlantationShutters.com.au
    Use your garage or home workshop to make Plantation Shutters as a business

The suhner guys have mobile vans that come out to you and sell out the back of the van.

Don't know how you'd go getting them to come to your home though. Might need to set up an account with them first.
    www.methodmetal.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Hi Stu,

the only problem I can see, is holding the blighters. As mentioned above, the items I saw at North East, were a flat circular disk 60mm with a plastic hub embedded into it.

The plastic hub looked to be about 10mm in dia x 10mm long, and threaded with a really course thread. Trying to match this thread could be a nightmare.

From memory, they were about $3 a piece and don't reckon they would last very long.

I could be wrong, they might last for ages. What sort of an air drill chuck, has a course internal thread in the nose of it?

Ken
    I use mine in a right angle die grinder, They are great. I buy the disks from the US and get 50 pads for USD$25 that equals .50cents per disk, A far cry from my local supplier who wants $3.60 each for them. Here is the link Results for Quick Change Discs
    I go through heaps and heaps of them, I condition welds and polish stainless, remove paint and rust, I even use them to prep aluminium for tig welding..
    Hope this helps Matt
    Warning Disclaimer