Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The Vic. Phone Book.

Hi to All,
    We received our new Ph. Book today. It is just as Stupid as the last couple. Why ?

The Yellow Pages are in the Front, with the Ph. Book in the back.

Why doesn't somebody with some Clout, make both sections the Front Page.

By that I mean, why not turn one of them around, & therefore when you opened either cover, it would be right.

Maybe this is to much to expect, from the people who do or make the Ph. Book.

The one I use in my Shed is torn in half.

So I only have the Ph. Book part, as you are also given an A5 size of Yellow Pages.

Anyway I mainly use White Pages on the PC, if we don't have them in our Ph. List.

So what do you think ?

Am I being to critical, but it does give me the irrats.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Be glad you only get one book for the lot.

We get 2 books for the yellow pages being A - ? and ? - Z and the white pages are in two books as well, one business and the other non business. And as well as that we get a small book covering our region for combined white and yellow. Totally useless as we are on the edge of the region and would never go to that side for shopping.

So you are much better of.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by issatree View Post
    Why doesn't somebody with some Clout, make both sections the Front Page.

By that I mean, why not turn one of them around, & therefore when you opened either cover, it would be right.

Maybe this is to much to expect, from the people who do or make the Ph. Book.
    They did that to our phonebook for one year and one year only, thank Goodness. Everyone I spoke to in our area hated it, including me. they must have been innundated with complaints about it as they no longer do that. Now, Yellow pages in the front and white pages in the back.

so long as I get a phone book with both, I don't mind in what order they are sited, as I know I'll get used to it eventually.

Love the yellowpages, and may they never stop printing it.

Truly hate the on-line version with a passion.
    Everybody has paid extra to get bumped up when you do a search, something as simple as Electrician, and my postcode. Get a message along the lines of "Your search has returned a truckload of results so here are the top however many" and when you start looking at them they are from sparkies all over the state and none even close to me, and only up to the letter "D" or thereabouts. I like to support local tradies where ever I can but it makes it very hard,

Ron
    "Rotten to the Core"

Default The Yellow Pages.

Hi Rotten66,
    Maybe I did not write that properly. I don't mean that they get rid of the Y/ pages, but put the White pages in the front, as I'm sure most people use the Whites more than the Yellow Pages.
    By what was replied, I seem to be in a minority on this.
    It still drives me Bonkers anyway.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Default Nrb

What about the way they are bound,our latest books have so much off the spine that we cannot open it enough to read,a total waste of our money

Default That Book.

Hi nrb,
    Not sure by a waste of our money. I think in Melb. Vic. you have to pay for them, & I know I wanted a set of Melb. Books & was quoted $6 ea. Some time back now, So I told them to stick them up their jumper & I use White Pages on the Computer now & with a Map to go.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

The days of the phone book may be limited Issatree .....

Sydney, Melbourne phone book delivery ends

Perhaps Gtown may be saved for a while at least as it is all bundled in together.

Interesting to note this article from 2008 in relation to white pages online.....

Search overhaul for White Pages site

despite it saying .... "Sensis has admitted its White Pages directories site struggles with even the most basic search queries, but promised frustrated users a fix is on the way" I am wondering if they have rolled out the fix yet.

The white and yellow pages on line are still difficult to use. If searching for a business or trade Google is much easier and with the integrated map the information is much more useful.

The trend to move away from fixed line phones would also limit the future of the white pages. We no longer have a fixed phone line and now use only VOIP (no white pages listing there) ..... we use it so little I don't even know the number!
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Rather than scrabbling around online I would rather have a cd. Surely they wouldn't be any dearer to churn out than the massive phone books. The choice between paper with its tiny print (and getting smaller for me every year) and a cd wouldn't be too hard to arrange.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    Rather than scrabbling around online I would rather have a cd. Surely they wouldn't be any dearer to churn out than the massive phone books. The choice between paper with its tiny print (and getting smaller for me every year) and a cd wouldn't be too hard to arrange.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim CD's used to be available not sure if they were stopped due to what became illegal use by scammers and those pesky phone callers. Telstra was selling the information still does.
    Trouble with CD's/DVD's is you can't update them as quick as changes are made

Online is better but silent numbers you can't or shouldn't find. other providers than Telstra numbers .

The local little print ones I agree are so small in print even magnifying glass doesn't cope Telstra used to give those little plastic magnifiers away too.

On line yellow pages can be frustrating and useless at times. I have the smaller version they did a few years back in the car but was unable to find a supplier I use in it when I was on the road.
    There is no perfect balance between on line - incomplete, and printed - expensive and out of date when business open/close/move. That said on line still list a power tool repairer when the line has been disconected due to closure months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by issatree View Post
    Hi nrb,
    Not sure by a waste of our money. I think in Melb. Vic. you have to pay for them, & I know I wanted a set of Melb. Books & was quoted $6 ea. Some time back now, So I told them to stick them up their jumper & I use White Pages on the Computer now & with a Map to go.
    Still being delivered every year free of charge and extra copies available from the local post office. But they charge for directories of other cities.

Peter.