View Poll Results: What do you do with power cords when using dangerous power tools

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Power cord placed over the shoulder

10 38.46%
  • Power cord left naturally outta the way

13 50.00%
  • Other

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ben from Vic.
    Truth is I had been told that Double Insulated meant that I was somehow protected if I cut my own cord.
    A considerable improvement in dry ideal conditions, but it does rain occasionally here in the UK and motor housings are known to fill with dust/trash etc. over time that can form a path in moist conditions.

I even came across a hedge trimmer where the motor was insulated but the steady handle was attached to the blade housing with a nice strong through bolt!

OH. back to the original thread, drape it over the shoulder when outside, otherwise drape it from the workshop roof on a bungee along with the dust hose.

Chas

I use an old Towa 9" saw and an old Wolf 8" - I wouldn't like to risk hanging onto either of them if I cut the cord :eek: - RCD or not - although - whole heartedly agree they are an absolute must in any house - workshop or not.
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

I generally hold a loop of cord in my hand while holding onto the handle/trigger for saws, planers etc. I find it helps stop the cord catching on clamps etc.
    Drills I just let dangle

I do sometimes also then drape it over my shoulder if I am expecting to have to move a fair distance while using the tool.

I saw my father chew the power cord when using his hand held planer. No series damage done but everytime I pick it up I am reminded of the incident.

For those of you with the overhead power, you must still have some excess cord unless the cords are exactly the right length and you never move.

Jon

I do sometimes also then drape it over my shoulder if I am expecting to have to move a fair distance while using the tool.
    My dear jon, you ARE extremely well endowed you lucky boy you.
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

While I was apprenticed I put a 9" grinder through its extension lead (laying curled under the plate I was cutting.) No shock, just one hell of a bang. The bang was enough to make me see white - as if I was gonna faint. Lucky for me the tool was well built I guess.

Over the shoulder from that day forth.

J!
    J!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and its price is competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Ah that nuthing, when I was a little tacker(bout 4 or 5)I deiced I wanted to see what electricity looks like... grabed mums brand new sissors and cut through my electric blanket cord... ZAP nice welded sissors, lucky they had isulated handles otherwise I wouldnt be typing this!
    Mum still has these sissors, she just loves showing everyone when Im around.

Gotta make sure that cords out of the way, it gets annoying when you are giong through a long cut free hand, hook the cord on a table leg or something sticking out of the bench and snag it causing your table to be six inches shorter!!!
    "Last year I said I'd fix the squeak in the cupbaord door hinge... Right now I have nearly finished remodelling the whole damn kitchen!"

[email protected]