Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angle Grinders

With regards to the large angle grinders some sites in the NW of WA ,actually banned them on site because of either improper use of them or that the operators felt they were a dangerous tool.

Like inferred, most tools are only dangerous in the minds of some people and in the hands of others.

The matter of the off duty policeman using an angle grinder during an extremely hot weather period is one that even though he is remorseful will be a reminder to all of the vagaries of being unaware of the inherent probabilities of murphy's law.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

I thought I would give my two cents on this subject,
    my father being a welder by trade uses angle grinders (all sizes and types) every day. I've seen him use it where there is dry grass, standing on carpet(reno job) he has even used them on whilst on wood pallets, and a fire has never occurred from it, now I'm not saying it's impossible but more of a rare incident, best to be prepared with a bit of common sense and a fire extinguisher just in case.

,Cheers

David
    Last edited by Cub; 29th April 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo's
    Just another 17 year old who can work the remote

Mate there are plenty of ignorant welders out there.

Fires caused by angle grinders are no freak and they are far from unlikly....plenty of them happen.

I can directly point to several large buildings that have been burned down by welding or grinding sparks.

It is a very real risk and a very common occurance.

This why it is almost impossible to get insurance for a "mobile welder"

A hell of a lot of insurance policies specificaly exclude "HOT WORK", other times a fire caused by a grinder will be considered a wreckless act and cover will be denied.

Go onto any site that is serious about safety and you will need some sort of "hot work authorisation".

My brother does quite a lot of welding......one pastoral company he has done quite a bit of work for, gave him the work after the last bloke set fire to the place and they tossed him off the property.

He has built whole stock yards.......he always has a supply of water on hand and man on watch while any welding and grinding is done arround combustable material.

My brother is no safety freak but he knows both welding and grinding set fire to stuff very easily.

Seriously, this aint rocket science.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

If using angle grinder - check for fire risk first and have extinguisher present.

On days of high fire danger - No welding or grinding in the open. It can wait for another day.