Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Depending on how many sheets you need to cut. If it's only one or two, type in the word "handsaw" into google and you will be presented with a solution; tried and true.

For a great number of sheets, never mind the box trailer, never mind the battery powered circular saw. Go down to your local auto parts store and for less than $20 you can buy a pair of soft roll up roof racks that lay on and across the roof of your car. I have had some for years and they work a treat. I am not about to confess on here what I have had on mine, but I can assure you these soft packs can carry many, many (very many) sheets of your ply.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotax3 View Post
    Depending on how many sheets you need to cut. If it's only one or two, type in the word "handsaw" into google and you will be presented with a solution; tried and true.

For a great number of sheets, never mind the box trailer, never mind the battery powered circular saw. Go down to your local auto parts store and for less than $20 you can buy a pair of soft roll up roof racks that lay on and across the roof of your car. I have had some for years and they work a treat. I am not about to confess on here what I have had on mine, but I can assure you these soft packs can carry many, many (very many) sheets of your ply.
    Haha - good one about the Handsaw. Maybe I'm stuck in the Tim Taylor school of woodworking, as really, that should be the right answer for me, as I'm probably talking about 2 sheets and 8 cuts mainly, but knowing me, that'd take half an hour

Haven't heard of those roof racks before, I'll have to check them out. Thanks.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

Just been out to check what brand mine were. OCEAN/EARTH. They do not span the full width of the roof, maybe only a couple of feet, but that has made no difference to what I have carried on them; lots of stuff that others would think I shouldn't have. Seriously, they have worked for me.

The other alternative is if you have a frequent need is to look at real roof racks, but I have done that once and it can be expensive.

Right well, I guess I'll have to eat humble pie and take back everything I say about Mr Ply, assuming what I'ev just been told over the phone is correct.

They reckon they have marine ply at 2/3rds the price I've been paying elsewhere!! It's critical I have zero void wood, as I'm making boomerangs, which is why I've been getting the best hoop I can at Sharp, so that's the only thing I'll have to check that it is top quality wood. Not sure what's happened to have such a drastic change in their prices from last time I went there, but I should have listened to you guys earlier.

The cutting service seems to vary between stores. One quoted free cutting, but the store closest to me charges $2/cut. Still worth it for what I need, and the price difference anyway.

I'll have to make time to pay thema visit and see for myself, but it's looking good.

So thanks for that suggestion. May have saved me all the other hassles.

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

If your car can tow a camper trailer an 8x5 box trailer shouldn't be an issue.

Alternatively most camper trailers are flat on top, surely you could just strap the ply to that, maybe with a quick and dirty removable rack set up.

Or if you know you are going to be using a lot of ply for a long time buy it in bulk and have it delivered, it may be the cheapest option.
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."