Hi, Haven't been here fo a few months although I reckon there may be some ready answers out there. I have 2 questions - One to do with restoration of an American White Oak 6 leaf extension table and the other is to do with its history.

The surfaces of this table has been finished with shellac - its been thee for as many years as I can remember and I am 65. I am able to remove the shellac with a paint remover quite easily. The problem arises when trying to remove the "Black" ingrained stains. It might be said that this all part of the character of the wood. And that is quite accptable - ordinarily. However, in order to get the fullest extension of the table I made a replacement leaf (for an apparent lost one) and because the grain in the new piece doesn't have the black discoloration, when in situ it will stick out like the proverbial. I have considered a bleaching process but would like some guidance as to whether that is an acceptable solution.

The second question is that on the frame underneath is a stencilled "badge" identifying that the table was maufactured for export by the National Furniture Company, Pennsylvania. What little research I have been able to do suggests that the company was bought out by the Singer sewing machine company in about 1918. They ceased manufacturing furniture as such and became the cabinat makers for Singer treadle machines. So if any one can elaborate any more of the history I would be most grateful.

Thanking anybody in advance

Ecna