Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Not quite as Much Dust!

Vern came round with some Budgeroo he found beside the Road.We cut it into 1" boards. iwas suprised how well this Timber milled. Anyway atttached is a link to a video of some it. I also fiited a Blade guard to the mill, i found a 75 series cruiser bumper bar lying down the back. It was a perfect fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0WN4p9LD4
    Last edited by DJ’s Timber; 9th March 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Looks a treat newjon that timbers got a real nice grain to it I ve never heard of Budgeroo. What sort of seasoning time would it need

Quote Originally Posted by newjon View Post
    ....some Budgeroo he found beside the Road....
    Neil

That sure is a nice cutting speed you have there. What sort of blades are you using?

Good cutting speed there I like the idea of the brushes on your blade wheels too. Well done.

Default Type of Blade

The Blade is a Lennox Woodmaster B Bi-Metal 1 "1/4 , 1" pitch. I spoke to Brad Henry at Henry Brothers and he recommended this blade. He was right on the money, They really know there stuff there and are only to happy to give free advice.

I believe Lennox blades to be very good. Two things that also show well on the video are that after each cut the timber is very clean of sawdust. This tells me that blade setup is very good and cut speed also. When cutting at optimum speed with a bandsaw, the cut lines will look as if they are running on an angle

Nifty, thanks for the tip. Having the blade setup correct is only by pure Ass!! I am still learning. It is hard to get good info off the Net as it is mostly from the US and is about cutting pine. I am running about 19 Thou set at the moment and a 8 degree hook angle. It seems to be working for me. I cut about 4 logs into boards and then tried to resaw some gidgee, I was pushing the friendship as when I cut into the gidgee the blade dived. I will have a go next weekend with a resharpened blade. I was lucky enough to score an old Dinsaw profiler for Nix off a mate.

Jon

That looks really good. Cuts quickly and smoothly. It makes me shudder when I think of how much I spent on a propriety saw. Pehaps I should have spent a day at the motor wreckers.

The Landcruiser bumper is certainly going in the right direction for the guarding aspect (probably protect the saw if you inadvertently drop a log on it too), but I would still like to see a little more shrouding around the wheels and drive train. A loose sleeve, for example, caught in any rotating part could become very unpleasant.

With the gidgee, if it still doesn't cut straight after you sharpen the blade, you may have to revisit the hook angle on the blade. That then becomes a nuisance unless you just keep that blade for the super dense timbers.

The blade does the wavy thing when it get too hot. Keep fingers crossed that it is just a sharpening problem. Some of the dense and/or abrasive timbers take the edge off the blade in no time at all. Copious quantities of water help.

All in all though it's a credit to you.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Newjon, 8 degree hook is fine for our hardwoods, anywhere from 7 to 9 degree in my thinking, 4 in extreme cases. More often than not seeing as you cut 4 logs before the blade started to dive will be because as the blade starts to dull, one side of the blade will lose more set than the other. With mine it will start to jump into the log as it gets dull and i can guarantee the "upside teeth" have lost their set. Ill post pics when Im back into it. Nothing wrong with Dinasaw sharpening gear by the way, I really like their tooth setter

Quote Originally Posted by itsposs View Post
    Looks a treat newjon that timbers got a real nice grain to it I ve never heard of Budgeroo. What sort of seasoning time would it need
    Dunno what you're missing mate!!! Lovely stuff to work with. Budgeroo is normally VERY abrasive but I'm hoping this stuff is a bit easier on the blades as it came off red-soil instead of the usual sandy country. Shrinkage is minimal but we'll leave the 25mm boards for a year anyway (or 6 - depending on the to-do list )
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by newjon View Post
    The Blade is a Lennox Woodmaster B Bi-Metal 1 "1/4 , 1" pitch. I spoke to Brad Henry at Henry Brothers and he recommended this blade. He was right on the money, They really know there stuff there and are only to happy to give free advice.
    These are the same blades I use I also recomend the carbide tip blade although more expensive, may be a feasable option for the hard dense timbers you are cutting, looks like you have good blade speed which suits a carbide tip blade.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    These are the same blades I use I also recomend the carbide tip blade although more expensive, may be a feasable option for the hard dense timbers you are cutting, looks like you have good blade speed which suits a carbide tip blade.

Pete
    How do you sharpen the carbide blades?

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"