Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Well Andrew - I reckon if I can do it, anyone can......

Cheers,
    I don't know about that, but you've inspired me to try! Thanks for the handy instructions in your second post!

Olive handles. Droooooooooooooool

Default olive trees

Not that religous but chainsawing monks trees is probablely express lane to hell. But it does make you wonder how old olive trees would be in Italy/Greece

Quote Originally Posted by moikel View Post
    Not that religous but chainsawing monks trees is probablely express lane to hell. But it does make you wonder how old olive trees would be in Italy/Greece
    Never realised the slippery slope was greased with olive oil.
    Lovely work Ian.
    It is a beautiful wood but I find it awkward to season especially once it's old enough to get the dark figuring in it. Then again it's one of the few woods you can put in the microwave and not stink the kitchen out. It's easy to say, "I made myself a snack using olive oil dear".
    Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    .....Then again it's one of the few woods you can put in the microwave and not stink the kitchen out. It's easy to say, "I made myself a snack using olive oil dear".
    Must try that one sometime......

I know what you mean about tough to dry - I got a lot of cracks in some pieces, but other bits were fine. In the stuff I got, the cracking was worse in the new wood, & less in the old, swirly-lined parts, so go figure, as our cousins across the Pacific say.

Cheers,
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Must try that one sometime......

I know what you mean about tough to dry - I got a lot of cracks in some pieces, but other bits were fine. In the stuff I got, the cracking was worse in the new wood, & less in the old, swirly-lined parts, so go figure, as our cousins across the Pacific say.

Cheers,
    go figure indeed lol

Hi Ian

That olive wood is just stunning! It almost distracts from the beautiful work that you have done with the saws themselves! Your shaping and choice of figure placement is a work of art.

I have not seen such large chunks of olive woods before. I was once given a small piece, which was enough to turn into one small marking knife. It turned sweetly, like any fruit wood. I looked for more, and was told that the trees had small trunks.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Shouldn't admit this really, but I have access to big olive tree over a hundred years old. I prune it occasionally when I need a piece for handles or when my son is after oysters. The thinner branches don't have figure in them at all or just a little in the centre.
    Turning is a pleasure - you can see where the expression, "Living off the smell of an oily rag", comes from.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    ps the olives taste good too.